unilad homepage
unilad homepage
  • News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • World News
    • Crime
    • Health
    • Money
    • Sport
    • Travel
  • Music
  • Technology
  • Film and TV
    • News
    • DC Comics
    • Disney
    • Marvel
    • Netflix
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
Bondi beach shooting suspect breaks silence from prison months after gruesome attack
Home>News>World News
Updated 10:04 17 Feb 2026 GMTPublished 09:16 17 Feb 2026 GMT

Bondi beach shooting suspect breaks silence from prison months after gruesome attack

The harrowing attack unfolded on December 14 and claimed the lives of 15 people

Niamh Shackleton

Niamh Shackleton

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: Rocco Fazzari / AFP via Getty Images

Topics: Terrorism, Australia, Court, Crime, World News

Niamh Shackleton
Niamh Shackleton

Niamh Shackleton is an experienced journalist for UNILAD, specialising in topics including mental health and showbiz, as well as anything Henry Cavill and cat related. She has previously worked for OK! Magazine, Caters and Kennedy.

X

@niamhshackleton

Advert

Advert

Advert

24-year-old Naveed Akram, one of the suspects in the Bondi Beach shooting, has faced court for the first time following December's devastating attack on the Jewish community in New South Wales, Australia.

On December 14, hundreds of people took to Bondi Beach for Hanukkah celebrations when the shooting took place.

There were thought to be two gunmen, one of which - 50-year-old Sajid Akram - was killed by police.

As well as Sajid, 15 people were fatally shot in the attack and dozens more were injured. It's thought that the shooting 'was motivated by Islamic State ideology', Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said in the days that followed.

Advert

Sajid's son, Naveed, is the surviving suspect and was left critically injured in the ordeal. After he was treated at hospital he was charged and transferred to prison.

Dozens of people, including one of the suspected shooters, died in the Bondi Beach attack (George Chan/Getty Images)
Dozens of people, including one of the suspected shooters, died in the Bondi Beach attack (George Chan/Getty Images)

Naveed faced the court for the first time yesterday (February 16), where he faces 59 charges relating to the devastating December 14 attack, including 15 counts of murder and one of committing a terrorist attack, BBC News reports.

He appeared in court via video link from prison in a hearing that lasted less than ten minutes.

The only person he addressed during this time was Deputy Chief Magistrate Sharon Freund.

A suppression order protecting the names of some victims has been extended, and Naveed was asked by the judge if he heard this being discussed.

"Yep," he replied.

She then told him that his solicitor would call him, to which Naveed acknowledged with a simple 'yeah'.

Ben Archbold is representing Naveed and, when asked by reporters how his client will plea to the dozens of charges he's facing, Archbold said (via VT): "There’s a client that needs to be represented. And we don’t let our personal view get in the way of our professional application."

He also said the suspected criminal is doing 'as well as expected' behind bars, adding: "Everyone knows it's supermax... very onerous conditions."

Naveed is next due in court on April 8.

Naveed Akram appeared in court via video link from prison (Rocco Fazzari / AFP via Getty Images)
Naveed Akram appeared in court via video link from prison (Rocco Fazzari / AFP via Getty Images)

In court documents made public late last year, it was said that Naveed and his late father conducted firearms training in regional New South Wales in the weeks leading up to the deadly attack, says ABC News.

A police statement also said that a video was filmed during the training and that the father-son duo were seen 'firing shotguns and moving in a tactical manner'.

If you or someone you know has been affected by gun violence, please find more information and support via Survivors Empowered on their website.

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
3 hours ago
  • SWNS
    an hour ago

    Woman who grew up in polyamarous cult with 44 siblings explains specific rules she had to follow

    The Utah woman described her new life outside of the 'cult' as 'freeing'

    News
  • (Photo by Jon Cherry/Getty Images)
    2 hours ago

    Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth does impression of Trump as he reveals advice president shared with him

    His appearance at the campaign rally was met with applause and chants of 'USA!'

    News
  • Monica Schipper/Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Adult platform expert hits out at Euphoria as explicit Sydney Sweeney snake scene sparks backlash

    The expert has slammed Hollywood for not doing 'meaningful research into the realities of the industry'

    Film & TV
  • Brendan SMIALOWSKI / AFP via Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    Greenland's leader speaks out as US envoy arrives amid 'take over' threats

    Donald Trump's threat to conquer Greenland never went away, with officials secretly holding talks about acquiring the island for months

    News
  • Terrifying moment heroic civilian disarmed alleged shooter in Bondi Beach terror attack
  • Australian Prime Minister reveals motive for Bondi Beach shooting as police uncover suspects' movements ahead of terror attack
  • Over $1 million raised for 'hero' bystander who tackled alleged Bondi Beach gunman during terror attack
  • Parents of ‘hero’ bystander speak out after son tackled and disarmed shooter during Bondi Beach attack