unilad homepage
unilad homepage
  • News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • World News
    • Crime
    • Health
    • Money
    • Sport
    • Travel
  • Music
  • Technology
  • Film and TV
    • News
    • DC Comics
    • Disney
    • Marvel
    • Netflix
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
Disgraced surgeon 'harmed up to 100 children' in botched operations on their legs
Home>News>UK News
Published 11:13 4 Jan 2026 GMT

Disgraced surgeon 'harmed up to 100 children' in botched operations on their legs

Yaser Jabbar has not been able to practice medicine in the UK since early 2024

Gerrard Kaonga

Gerrard Kaonga

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: CMC Hospital

Topics: News, UK News, Health

Gerrard Kaonga
Gerrard Kaonga

Gerrard is a Journalist at UNILAD and has dived headfirst into covering everything from breaking global stories to trending entertainment news. He has a bachelors in English Literature from Brunel University and has written across a number of different national and international publications. Most notably the Financial Times, Daily Express, Evening Standard and Newsweek.

Advert

Advert

Advert

A surgeon in the UK may have harmed up to 100 children in a multitude of botched surgeries on their legs, according to a report.

An independent review looking into the patients of National Health Service (NHS) doctor Yaser Jabbar found that he may have harmed up to 100 children, with at least 32 young people suffering severe harm, chronic pain and potential lifelong deformities.

The investigation reviewed the care of 789 patients who were under Jabbar’s care while he was at Great Ormond Street Hospital (GOSH) in London.

The full findings of the review are set to be presented to the hospital’s trust board on January 29.

Advert

Several young people have reportedly had to undergo further corrective surgery after being treated by Jabbar - who worked at the hospital between June 2017 and September 2023 - which has left some with chronic pain and permanent nerve damage as a result.

Families of the victims have taken issue with the hospital, which called for the independent review, and accused it of a ‘culture of cover-up’ as they previously claimed that reports about the care their children received did not reflect what truly happened.

One worker at the trust condemned the hospital for its response to the scandal and took aim at management for allegedly avoiding taking responsibility and failing to adequately address alleged ‘systemic failures in how staff concerns were handled’.

The independent review found many of the children were left with chronic pain or permanent damage(Peter MacDiarmid/Getty Images)
The independent review found many of the children were left with chronic pain or permanent damage(Peter MacDiarmid/Getty Images)

Speaking to the Sunday Times, they said: “They have focused everything on the department and one rogue surgeon.

“But it was their failure to respond to concerns. Even when the Royal College of Surgeons (RCS) report came out, what they chose to do was persecute the consultants that were still there … The RCS report criticized both the executive team and senior management. I’ve seen no change in that. Those people are still in post.”

Great Ormond Street Hospital told The Times: “We are deeply sorry to all the children, young people and their families who have been affected by the actions of a surgeon working at GOSH between 2017 and 2022.

"We have reviewed the care of every single child involved and our report will be shared with families next month before it is made public.”

Jabbar has not had a legal license to practice medicine in the UK since January 8, 2024.

Jabbar has not had a legal license to practice medicine in the UK since January 8, 2024 (CMC Hospital)
Jabbar has not had a legal license to practice medicine in the UK since January 8, 2024 (CMC Hospital)

Lawyers representing families of children said to be victims of Jabbar have said some of the botched surgeries included leg length discrepancies, nerve injuries and one amputation.

Caroline Murgatroyd, of Hudgell Solicitors, said: “We have had a significant number of families come forward to seek advice and to share their concerns since the scale of this investigation was made public at the weekend.

“What’s particularly shocking is the sheer number of children affected, and the fact that this is a world-renowned hospital, and one which people had complete faith and trust in.”

UNILAD has contacted Great Ormond Street Hospital for comment.

  • Woman, 21, left needing both legs amputated after her legs started bending the wrong way
  • 'Fit and healthy' man, 20, forced to have both legs amputated after mistaking symptoms for the flu
  • Woman who was mutilated by 'butcher surgeon' reveals how he convinced her to undergo unnecessary mastectomy
  • Maine mom almost died after picking up 'beautiful' bug that triggered 'one in a million' allergic reaction

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
3 hours ago
  • Summer Roberts
    an hour ago

    Woman whose breasts 'never stop growing' reveals tasks she 'physically can't do'

    Summer Robert's life has been turned upside down by a rare health issue that has caused her bra size to balloon

    News
  • Netflix
    2 hours ago

    Chilling reason why Chris Watts 'keeps photos of dead wife and two daughters' he killed in his prison cell

    The convicted killer claims his child's last words were "Daddy, no!" before he smothered her with a blanket

    News
  • @‌ganleygabriel/Instagram
    3 hours ago

    Bodybuilder and fitness influencer Gabriel Ganley has died aged 22

    Young fitness fanatic Gabriel Ganley's death has sparked a debate around unhealthy choices in the bodybuilding community

    News
  • Netflix
    3 hours ago

    Mackenzie Shirilla's former prison inmate makes 'sugar daddy websites' claim

    Mackenzie Shirilla was 17 when she crashed a car, killing Dominic Russo and friend Davion Flanagan.

    News