To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Not now
OK
Advert
Advert
Advert

Man paralyzed in police van wins $45 million settlement after cops thought he was faking injuries

Joe Harker

Published 
| Last updated 

Man paralyzed in police van wins $45 million settlement after cops thought he was faking injuries

Featured Image Credit: Associated Press/Alamy

A man who was paralyzed from the chest down in the back of a police van has reached a $45 million settlement with the city of New Haven, Connecticut.

Randy Cox, now 36, was left with paralysis on 19 June, 2022 after he was arrested by police on charges of threatening a woman with a gun - charges which were later dismissed.

According to AP, the man had been in the back of a police van with his hands cuffed behind his back but without a seatbelt and when the van braked sharply he was sent head-first into a metal partition.

Advert

Footage from the incident showed him lying on the floor of the police van and unable to rise again as he told officers: "I can't move. I'm going to die like this. Please, please, please help me."

When the police van arrived at the station surveillance cameras and bodycam footage appeared to show that officers mocked Cox and accused him of faking his injuries.

Randy Cox was left paralyzed from the chest down after hitting his head inside a police van. Credit: New Haven Police
Randy Cox was left paralyzed from the chest down after hitting his head inside a police van. Credit: New Haven Police

Unable to move, he was dragged out of the police van by his feet and put in a holding cell before being transferred to hospital.

Advert

Last year, he launched a $100 million lawsuit against the police officers and the city of New Haven, with an agreement for a $45 million settlement reached on the evening of Friday, 9 June.

"The city’s mistakes have been well documented," attorneys for Cox said in a statement following the settlement.

"But today is a moment to look to the future, so New Haven residents can have confidence in their city and their police department."

Legislation which would require all prisoners being transported to be wearing seat belts recently passed the state Senate.

Advert
When officers opened up the police van they claimed Cox was faking his injuries and was drunk. Credit: New Haven Police
When officers opened up the police van they claimed Cox was faking his injuries and was drunk. Credit: New Haven Police

New Haven city mayor Justin Elicker said at a news conference on Saturday (10 June) that he'd spoken with Cox's mother about the settlement.

He said: "Randy entered a police transport vehicle being able to walk, and now he’s not able to walk.

"What I shared with her is that while this settlement cannot bring Randy back to his original state when he entered that police transport vehicle, that my hope is that it provides Randy the future medical support and other support that he will need."

Advert

"Randy’s 36 years old, and we hope he has a long life ahead of him with the kind of support and care that he deserves."

Five police officers were charged with second degree reckless endangerment and cruelty over the treatment that Cox received which resulted in him becoming paralyzed.

All five have pleaded not guilty to the charges against them, while two were recently fired.

Topics: News, US News, Crime, Police

Joe Harker
More like this
Advert
Advert
Advert

Chosen for YouChosen for You

News

Couple who sold all their possessions to live on a cruise ship reveal how much their lives have changed

5 hours ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

Groom interrupts his own wedding to expose his bride cheating with her brother-in-law

6 hours ago