Urgent manhunt underway after shooting at amusement park

Poppy Bilderbeck

Published 
| Last updated 

Urgent manhunt underway after shooting at amusement park

Featured Image Credit: @talia_kirkland/Twitter/Amy Cicconi/Alamy Stock Photo

Police have launched a manhunt to find a gunman who shot three people at an amusement park.

On Saturday, 24 September, two teenage boys and a man were injured after 'two shots were fired' at the Kennywood amusement park in West Mifflin, Pennsylvania.

An 'ongoing search' is now taking place to find the gunman.

At a news conference, a spokesperson from Allegheny County Police detailed that two groups of teenage men had been near the 'Music Express' ride in the 'Lost Kennywood' section of the park when an altercation broke out at around 10:49pm.

A gun is said to have been produced by a Black man who was wearing a black hooded jumper and black face mask, similar to those worn during the coronavirus pandemic.

The incident was branded a 'mass casualty incident'.

Multiple police departments rushed to the scene according to Channel 11 reporter Susan Koepper, who had been at the park to pick up her son.

Koepper said she was in the parking lot with 'lots of [other] families' who were waiting for their children.

"Witnesses said they ran, some hopped fences to escape and left their belongings," she said.

According to Koepper's son, he saw a stretcher being rushed to an area near to the Phantom's Revenge ride.

The three people injured were two 15-year-old boys and one 35-year-old man.

One of the 15-year-old boys was shot in the leg, a 35-year-old man was also shot in the leg and the other 15-year-old boy had his leg grazed by the bullet.

The first 15-year-old is reported as being in hospital in a stable condition, the 35-year-old has since been released after receiving treatment and the third victim is in a stable condition after being taking to hospital by a member of his family, WPXI reports.

Other people at the amusement park are thought to have sustained minor injuries as people fled the scene in panic, however the total number has not yet been ascertained.

This morning, 25 September, Kennywood Park released a statement which read: "The park is closed for the night and all guests have exited. We are aware of a situation that occurred this evening and are working with local law enforcement.

"The safety of our guests and Team Members are our top priority. Members of the park’s security, Allegheny County, and West Mifflin police departments were already on site and immediately responded."

Alleghency County police and West Mifflin Police are now in charge of the investigation.

The handgun has since been recovered from the scene. However, the suspect managed to flee.

Police have since called on the public to help them find the gunman, asking anyone with any information or footage to call them at 1-833-ALL-TIPS.

If you have a story you want to tell, send it to UNILAD via [email protected] 

Topics: News, US News, Crime

Poppy Bilderbeck
More like this

Chosen for YouChosen for You

Celebrity

Anne Heche autopsy shows no evidence of impairment by illegal substances at time of fatal crash

2 hours ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

Anne Heche autopsy shows no evidence of impairment by illegal substances at time of fatal crash

2 hours ago