Man convicted of making bomb that killed one person on Las Vegas strip has escaped prison
| Last updated
Featured Image Credit: Nevada Department of Corrections/ Stefano Politi Markovina / Alamy Stock Photo
A prisoner convicted of making a bomb which killed one person in Las Vegas has escaped from the facility where he was serving a life sentence.
The pipe bomb had been placed in a coffee cup which sat on top of a car parked at the casino, and killed the vendor of a hot dog stand when it exploded.
Duarte-Herrera, 42, was serving his sentence at the Southern Desert Correctional Center near Las Vegas, but officials spotted he was missing as they conducted a head count on Tuesday morning (27 September).
A statement released by the Nevada Corrections Department, explained: "Offender Porfirio Duarte-Herrera... was determined missing from during the 7:00 a.m. scheduled count. Escape procedures were initiated approximately 8 a.m., and search teams remain in effect."
Nevada Governor Steve Sisolak told KSNV his office was informed on Tuesday that the inmate had been missing since 'early in the weekend', NBC News reports.
Search teams are now conducting a search for the missing prisoner, who has been described as 5 feet, 4 inches tall, weighing 9st 6lbs (135lbs), and with brown eyes, brown hair and no reported tattoos.
Sisolak described the situation as 'unacceptable' and announced that he had ordered the Corrections Department to conduct a thorough investigation into Duarte-Herrera's escape to help determine the events that led to his disappearance.
“This kind of security lapse cannot be permitted and those responsible will be held accountable,” he said.
Duarte-Herrera was convicted alongside a co-defendant, Omar Rueda-Denvers, who remains in custody. The 47-year-old, from Guatemala, is serving a life sentence at a different Nevada prison for murder, attempted murder, explosives and other charges after he and Duarte-Herrera avoided the death penalty for their crimes.
The victim of the bombing, Willebaldo Dorantes Antonio, was identified by prosecutors in the case as the new boyfriend of Rueda-Denvers’ ex-girlfriend.
It was suggested at the time that the bombing was motivated by jealousy. When the explosion first rang out on the Strip, it sparked fears of a terrorist attack.
The Nevada Corrections Department has described Duarte-Herrera as a 'medium-security inmate'.
The department has issued a retake warrant for the convict, and anyone with information about the whereabouts of the 42-year-old is being encouraged to call 911 immediately.
If you have a story you want to tell, send it to UNILAD via [email protected]