unilad homepage
unilad homepage
  • News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • World News
    • Crime
    • Health
    • Money
    • Sport
    • Travel
  • Music
  • Technology
  • Film and TV
    • News
    • DC Comics
    • Disney
    • Marvel
    • Netflix
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
Murder suspect turned himself back in after a clerical error led to his accidental release
Home>News
Updated 15:08 16 Apr 2023 GMT+1Published 14:54 16 Apr 2023 GMT+1

Murder suspect turned himself back in after a clerical error led to his accidental release

Jaylan Noah Davis, who has been charged with first-degree murder, was accidentally released by prison staff.

Gregory Robinson

Gregory Robinson

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: Mecklenburg County Jail/ Image Source / Alamy Stock Photo

Topics: Crime, US News, News

Gregory Robinson
Gregory Robinson

Gregory is a journalist for UNILAD. After graduating with a master's degree in journalism, he has worked for both print and online publications and is particularly interested in TV, (pop) music and lifestyle. He loves Madonna, teen dramas from the '90s and prefers tea over coffee.

Advert

Advert

Advert

A man who is facing charges of first-degree murder turned himself back in after jail staff accidentally released him.

The suspect, Jaylan Noah Davis, was arrested and charged with murder last year in connection with a shooting that left Arthur Mikulski, 42, dead in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Davis, who is also facing two counts of shooting into an occupied dwelling and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, was processed and released on Thursday (13 April) from the Mecklenburg County Jail.

Advert

Jaylan Davis was released accidentally due to a 'clerical error'.
Mecklenburg County Jail

He was being held without bond and his accidental release was due to an incorrect court order indicating the charges against him had been dropped.

Despite being released, Davis turned himself in on Friday (14 April). Mecklenburg County Sheriff Garry McFadden confirmed the ‘clerical error’ in a statement shared on Twitter.

The Sheriff said he is grateful no one was hurt after Davis’ accidental release, but said it was an ‘emotional rollercoaster for the families involved’.

“Our criminal justice system will never be flawless, but we will learn from this experience and improve our process accordingly,” McFadden shared in the statement.

Davis’ father Andrew spoke with a local news station about the moment he watched a Channel 9 broadcast about his son’s release – which is how he found out about the mishap.

Andrew Davis, the suspect's father.
WSOC-TV Channel 9

“Like I’m not believing what I’m seeing,” Andrew Davis told Channel 9.

Andrew explained that as soon as they heard that his son was wanted, they immediately surrendered.

He said he spoke to a sergeant at the jail, who explained to him how the mistake happened.

The father said: “And he explained to me that it was some kind of clerical error, and they released him. We brought him home.

"But when they put it out on the news, I’m like we’ve been at home. They got the number here. They got the address here. You know where we’re at, I mean nobody came.

"Nobody did anything but we happen to see it on the news, so we went to go turn ourselves in.”

After Davis returned to the detention centre on Saturday morning (15 April), the Sheriff’s department confirmed that he is once again being held without bond and is scheduled to be back in court on Monday (17 April).

Choose your content:

an hour ago
3 hours ago
5 hours ago
11 hours ago
  • Handout
    an hour ago

    Boyfriend of Maldives diver killed in scuba tragedy reveals final conversation

    Federico Colombo is still trying to understand what happened on his girlfriend's scuba diving expedition in the Maldives

    News
  • Justin Sullivan/Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    Thousands evacuated and ‘immediate threat to life’ warning issued as Sandy wildfire approaches LA homes

    Over 1,300 acres are currently ablaze with firefighters confirming containment is at just 5 percent.

    News
  • Getty Stock Images
    5 hours ago

    Flight attendant warns of three-letter code word you don't want to hear on a plane

    The little known codes are cabin crew's way of discreetly communicating key information with each other

    News
  • 12News
    11 hours ago

    9/11 survivor reveals she's battling frightening illness as body 'burns itself from inside out'

    Jenn Ashcraft survived both the 1993 and 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center in New York City

    News
  • 'Ghost' murder suspect accused of killing his best friend is arrested after 30 years on the run
  • Two reasons Alex Murdaugh won't walk free after wife and son's murder overturned
  • Death row inmate appeals murder conviction after hypnotized witness provided testimony
  • Athena Strand's mom revealed last words she told 7-year-old before her murder