To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Armie Hammer's ex speaks out after prosecutors decide he will not be charged with sexual assault

Armie Hammer's ex speaks out after prosecutors decide he will not be charged with sexual assault

Despite numerous allegations against the actor, Hammer will not be charged with sexual assault after a lengthy investigation.

Trigger warning: the article contains discussions of rape and sexual assault

Armie Hammer’s ex has spoken out after Los Angeles district attorney's office decided to not press charges against the actor.

The Social Network star had been accused of rape by one of his former partners Effie Angelova, with the investigation beginning back in February 2021. Hammer denied the allegations.

However, it was announced on Wednesday that the actor would not have charges filed against him, citing ‘insufficient evidence’.

The actor has denied the allegation lodged against him.
Associated Press / Alamy

A spokesperson for the Los Angeles district attorney's office, Tiffiny Blacknell, gave a statement about the case saying that they had ‘conducted an extremely thorough review’.

"As prosecutors, we have an ethical responsibility to only charge cases that we can prove beyond a reasonable doubt. We know that it is hard for women to report sexual assault," she said, explaining the reason for the decision.

She added that following this, prosecutors found that there was ‘insufficient evidence’ to charge The Lone Ranger actor.

"Due to the complexity of the relationship and inability to prove a non-consensual, forcible sexual encounter we are unable to prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt," Blacknell added.

The actor shared a message with his fans after the decision.
Instagram/@armiehammer

Hammer was accused of the alleged rape back in 2021, with other women also making serious allegations against the actor - including one who alleged that he carved his initial into her.

Following this, the actor was dropped by his publicist. His wife Elizabeth Chambers, with whom he shares two children, filed for divorce.

Though Hammer denied the claims, he went on to exit Shotgun Wedding – which he’d been due to star in with Jennifer Lopez.

Hammer took to Instagram after the charges were dropped and told fans: "I look forward to beginning what will be a long, difficult process of putting my life back together now that my name is cleared."

Meanwhile, Angelova hit out at the DA's decision.

She said in a statement after the charges were dropped: "I am disappointed with the LA County District Attorney’s decision not to prosecute Armie Hammer.

Hammer's ex has spoken out against the actor.
Disney

"I felt a duty to speak out and file a report in order to try to hold Armie accountable for all the harm and trauma he has caused me and in order to protect other women from experiencing similar abuse."

She also told Insider she was now ‘terrified of men’, adding: "Your rapist will claim it's your fault and the police will ask you what you were wearing when you got raped.

“And they'll say they won't do anything because they think your 'relationship' was 'complicated.' This is why rape is so underreported."

If you have been affected by any of the issues in this article and wish to speak to someone in confidence, contact The Survivor’s Trust for free on 08088 010 818, or through their website thesurvivorstrust.org

If you are in the US, you can also contact RAINN.

You can do this via it's helpline on 800 656 HOPE (4673) or its online chat, available 24/7 seven days a week.

Featured Image Credit: Associated Press / Alamy

Topics: Celebrity, Crime, Sexual Abuse, US News