Advert

Warning Issued After Teen Was Electrocuted By Phone Charger In Her Sleep

Published 
| Last updated 

Warning Issued After Teen Was Electrocuted By Phone Charger In Her Sleep

An urgent safety warning has been issued after a teenager tragically died from what is believed to be a massive electrical shock after falling asleep on top of her mobile phone.

The victim was 17-year-old Khorn Srey Pov, a Chinese translator working for the Sing Yon Kong Yik gold mining company in Kratie province, Cambodia.

Prior to her death, Ms Pov had taken a shower and left her phone on charge, leaving it lying on the bed with its torch light switched on.

Advert

After getting out of the shower, it is believed she climbed into bed and fell asleep on top of the phone, where she was killed instantly after being electrocuted by her device.

Credit: Newsflash
Credit: Newsflash

The incident has since provoked a debate on social media about the safety of phone chargers.

"They should be having public awareness campaigns on how to handle electricity,” said one person.

Advert

“I see people touching live wires on those transformer posts all the time, and unfortunate incidents like these happen often," another commented.

A third said: "She had just showered, so perhaps she was still wet when she laid down atop that multi-socket thingamajig.

“Even if dry though, it’s not a good idea to have one of those in bed with you. Tragic."

Sadly, this isn’t the first instance of someone being electrocuted by their smartphone. In 2013, Apple investigated the death of a Chinese woman who was reportedly electrocuted after answering a call on her iPhone while it was charging.

Advert
Credi: Pexels
Credi: Pexels

And in February this year, 18-year-old Angel Andrada was electrocuted and died after leaving the family dinner table to charge his phone in Argentina.

In Brazil, a two-year-old toddler Sara Alves de Albuquerque died after getting an electric shock from a mobile phone charger last year.

Experts explain that the chances of someone being electrocuted by a charger is low. However, the risks grow if an incompatible or substandard charger is used, as they do not insulate correctly, resulting in fire, overheating or electric shock.

Featured Image Credit: Newsflash/EyeEm/Alamy Stock Photo

Topics: Technology, Phones

Tom Sanders
More like this
Advert
Advert
Advert

Chosen for YouChosen for You

Film & TV

Jamie Foxx 'doesn't want' to release film where Robert Downey Jr. plays a Mexican man

34 minutes ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

Jamie Foxx 'doesn't want' to release film where Robert Downey Jr. plays a Mexican man

34 minutes ago