Search for Swiss fire victims continues as authorities warn of long wait for identification

Home> News> World News

Search for Swiss fire victims continues as authorities warn of long wait for identification

At least 40 people are said to have died in the December 31 fire

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

At least 40 people have died in a devastating blaze that ripped through a Swiss ski resort on New Year's Eve.

On December 31, during celebrations at a Swiss alpine resort in Crans-Montana, a fire broke out and quickly spread.

The heartbreaking scenes have claimed the lives of at least 40 people, authorities said on January 1, and over 100 people have been left injured.

One of the injured has been named as French footballer Tahirys Dos Santos. He has been left 'severely burned' following the horrific ordeal.

As of yesterday, the cause of the fire remained unclear, Beatrice Pilloud, the Valais Canton attorney general, said, adding: "At no moment is there a question of any kind of attack."

She later said the number of people who were in the Constellation Bar was 'currently totally unknown', adding that its maximum capacity would be part of the investigation.

Dozens of people have died in a NYE blaze at a Swiss ski resort (Harold Cunningham/Getty Images)
Dozens of people have died in a NYE blaze at a Swiss ski resort (Harold Cunningham/Getty Images)

"For the time being, we don’t have any suspect,” she added when asked if anyone had been arrested over the fire.

"An investigation has been opened, not against anyone, but to illuminate the circumstances of this dramatic fire."

As the investigation continues, family members will have a painstakingly long wait to learn if their loved ones died in the blaze.

According to BBC News, Swiss police have warned that it could take days or even weeks to identify everyone who perished.

Regional governor Mathias Reynard said last night, per the news outlet: "We are painfully aware that identifying the bodies, as well as the injured, may still take a terribly long time for the families involved."

A spokesman for the Canton Valais Police insists they're in contact with the families and that care teams were present to provide psychological support.

Officials have warned that it will take some time in identify the deceased (MAXIME SCHMID / AFP via Getty Images)
Officials have warned that it will take some time in identify the deceased (MAXIME SCHMID / AFP via Getty Images)

The fire that took place has been described as a 'flashover' — the rapid, near-simultaneous ignition of all combustible materials in an enclosed space.

Fire Engineering explains: "A flashover occurs when all of the combustible materials in a room or compartment reach their ignition temperatures at the same time.

"Although not all fuels in a room have the same ignition temperature, the heat is rising so rapidly that the temperatures are all reached during this period of rapid heat buildup.

"The heat that normally accumulates at the upper level in the compartment cannot absorb heat as fast as it is being created."

The president of the UK Association of Fire Investigators, Richard Hagger, says that this kind of fire can spread 'within a matter of seconds'.

"The room, in effect, becomes a full room on fire within a matter of seconds," he told the BBC of flashover fires.

If you have experienced a bereavement and would like to speak with someone in confidence, contact GrieveWell on (734) 975-0238, or email [email protected].

Featured Image Credit: MAXIME SCHMID / AFP via Getty Images

Topics: World News, News, Police