unilad homepage
unilad homepage
  • News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • World News
    • Crime
    • Health
    • Money
    • Sport
    • Travel
  • Music
  • Technology
  • Film and TV
    • News
    • DC Comics
    • Disney
    • Marvel
    • Netflix
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
Nintendo issues major update on Switch 2 after it's revealed how Trump's tariffs may impact already 'ridiculous' price
Home>News>US News
Updated 18:36 4 Apr 2025 GMT+1Published 18:13 4 Apr 2025 GMT+1

Nintendo issues major update on Switch 2 after it's revealed how Trump's tariffs may impact already 'ridiculous' price

Gamers really aren't happy right now

Gerrard Kaonga

Gerrard Kaonga

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: Nintendo

Topics: Gaming, Nintendo, Nintendo Switch, Donald Trump

Gerrard Kaonga
Gerrard Kaonga

Gerrard is a Journalist at UNILAD and has dived headfirst into covering everything from breaking global stories to trending entertainment news. He has a bachelors in English Literature from Brunel University and has written across a number of different national and international publications. Most notably the Financial Times, Daily Express, Evening Standard and Newsweek.

Advert

Advert

Advert

The gaming world has been up in arms since the announcement of the Switch 2, but their frustrations might just be about to go into overdrive.

While the sequel to the beloved Nintendo Switch has been long awaited, the companies Direct showcase on April 2 garnered a mixed response.

While there has been unbelievable hype for the next games in the Mario Kart and Metroid franchises, gamers weren’t exactly happy.

Much of the criticism has been directed at the high cost of the games console and games.

Advert

As things currently stand, the Nintendo Switch 2 by itself will set you back $449.99 - so hardly chump change.

But on top of this, the games itself are rumored to be at least $70 with Mario Kart World expected to retail at $79.99. Those poor wallets.

The Nintendo Switch 2 will be available for purchase on June 5 (Nintendo)
The Nintendo Switch 2 will be available for purchase on June 5 (Nintendo)

But to make matters worse, Nintendo has now issued a statement saying pre-orders won’t be going ahead right away due to the fluctuating economic situation in the US.

The statement read: “Pre-orders for Nintendo Switch 2 in the U.S. will not start April 9, 2025 in order to assess the potential impact of tariffs and evolving market conditions. Nintendo will update timing at a later date. The launch date of June 5, 2025 is unchanged."

This news comes only a few days after Donald Trump announced a slew of global tariffs.

It is not clear whether the price already announced by Nintendo had already factored in the tariffs that Trump had been warning about.

As you can imagine, on social media people didn’t take this news particularly well, using it as an opportunity to fire off at both Nintendo and Trump.

Trump unveiled major tariffs for nations earlier this week (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)
Trump unveiled major tariffs for nations earlier this week (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

One user said: “I'm gonna be serious here, people always praised Nintendo for having smaller games with moderate budgets, and yet they're the first to increase game prices to $80/$90?! This is ridiculous."

Another said: “This is horrible and sad for gamers and consumers in general. Awful start to the year.”

With a third adding: “Its funny, how yesterday, every fanboy saw their price and was claiming the tariffs were responsible. Now they have basically said: ‘Nah dog, we didn't even factor that in yet.'"

While a sceptic commented: “We are trying to figure out if we can raise the price another $50 and blame it on ‘tariffs."

While another simply said: “All my excitement is gone right now this feels awful.”

Choose your content:

8 mins ago
19 mins ago
an hour ago
2 hours ago
  • James Gilbert/Getty Images
    8 mins ago

    Kyle Busch's cause of death confirmed as sepsis after NASCAR driver died aged 41

    The family confirmed that Busch died after complications of sepsis progressing from severe pneumonia

    News
  • Allen J. Schaben/Los Angeles Times via Getty Images
    19 mins ago

    California toxic chemical leak sparks explosion fears as 40,000 evacuated in 'crisis situation'

    Officials have warned that the tank leak in Orange County may 'spill or explode'

    News
  • Maldives President Press Office
    an hour ago

    Expert says Maldives diving accident victims were just minutes away from reaching surface

    Finnish rescue diver Sami Paakkarinen has said the group lacked 'basic cave diving equipment'

    News
  • Getty Stock Images
    2 hours ago

    Cancer-causing chemicals hidden in many common foods, scientists discover

    It has raised concerns about long-term health risks

    News
  • Nintendo issues major update on cost of Switch 2 after Trump's tariffs threatened already 'ridiculous' price
  • Shocking 2025 data reveals true impact of Trump's tariffs across the globe
  • Nintendo Switch fans outraged over 'ridiculous' price of new console and games
  • Financial expert reveals how Donald Trump's global tariffs could impact the price of GTA 6