Update in case of two children found dead in suitcase

Anish Vij

Published 
| Last updated 

Update in case of two children found dead in suitcase

Featured Image Credit: Newshub/jvphoto/Alamy Stock Photo

There's been an update in the case of two children who were tragically found dead in a suitcase.

A family in South Auckland, who purchased the suitcase at an auction, discovered the remains last Thursday (11 August) as they opened it in their home in Manuwera.

The children were aged between five and 10 years-old and have been dead for a number of years, New Zealand Police Detective Inspector Tofilau Faamanuia Vaaelua said.

And now in an update, police have been told that a woman, believed to be related to two children, has been located in South Korea.

The suitcase was purchased via online auction by a family in South Auckland. Credit: 1News
The suitcase was purchased via online auction by a family in South Auckland. Credit: 1News

“We confirm that she is in South Korea, and that she is a New Zealand national of Korean descent,” an official at the Korean National Police Agency told AFP.

“New Zealand police are leading this investigation and we intend to cooperate at their request.”

The woman reportedly arrived in South back in 2018 and had no record of leaving the country since that year, the official claimed.

Vaaelua, who is heading the investigation, told Stuff: “No matter how many years you serve and investigate horrific cases like this, it’s never an easy task. I myself am a parent of young kids. But we have a job to do.” 

A police source reportedly said there could be several victims involved. Credit: NZ Herald
A police source reportedly said there could be several victims involved. Credit: NZ Herald

A neighbour, who used to work at a crematorium, said he recognised the 'wicked smell' when the family brought the suitcase home. 

"I knew straight away and I thought 'where is that coming from?'"

Via a statement released last Friday (12 August), Vaaelua said: "Police were alerted to the discovery on Moncrieff Avenue around 1.30pm on Thursday 11 August, after the occupants brought unowned property to their address.

"A number of Police staff have been working at the address overnight, including the Specialist Search Group. 

"From our enquiries so far, we can advise the occupants of the address are not believed to be involved in the incident. 

Detective Inspector Tofilau Faamanuia Vaaelua. Credit: 1News
Detective Inspector Tofilau Faamanuia Vaaelua. Credit: 1News

"Police acknowledge them for their assistance so far and we are providing support for them. Police would also ask the media to respect their privacy at this difficult time. 

"We appreciate there is significant public interest in what has occurred, however given the nature of the discovery, there are still a number of enquiries to be carried out. 

"Our enquiries are continuing today, which includes an ongoing scene examination, and the local community will see an increased Police presence in the area over the next few days." 

If you have a story you want to tell, send it to UNILAD via [email protected] 

Topics: News, New Zealand

Anish Vij
More like this

Chosen for YouChosen for You

Celebrity

Mystery surrounds apparent R Kelly album released from prison

12 hours ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

People are concerned for The 1000-lb Sisters star Tammy Slaton after season four trailer drops

18 hours ago