Advert

Schoolchildren Given Floor Sealant To Drink Instead Of Milk

Published 
| Last updated 

Schoolchildren Given Floor Sealant To Drink Instead Of Milk

Police have launched an investigation after a group of students ended up consuming floor sealant instead of milk.

A day care programme for children between the ages of five and 12 is being held this summer at Sitʼ Eeti Shaanax Glacier Valley Elementary School in Alaska.

However, on Tuesday (14 June), the school came under scrutiny after several students complained about their breakfast. It was later discovered that floor sealant was served to the children instead of milk.

Advert

The discovery was made after several students complained of a burning sensation in the back of their throats and mouths.

One child required treatment at hospital.

Children ended up consuming floor sealant rather than milk at Sitʼ Eeti Shaanax Glacier Valley Elementary School. Credit: Google Maps
Children ended up consuming floor sealant rather than milk at Sitʼ Eeti Shaanax Glacier Valley Elementary School. Credit: Google Maps

Juneau police have since opened an investigation into the incident but at this moment in time, nothing 'criminal' is believed to have taken place.

Advert

However, Superintendent Bridget Weiss stated: "We do want a thorough investigation of what happened, how it happened, and they're trained investigators."

In a statement, the school district said that as soon as staff became aware of the reaction the drink was causing in the children they 'immediately directed students to stop consuming the substance'.

They then 'removed' it from the premise.

Poison control were then reportedly contacted straight away by a school official and parents were informed.

Advert

While staff served the breakfast, a contractor named NANA Management Services provided the dispenser in which all the food items and milk were sourced from.

Several students complained of a burning sensation in their throat and mouth. Credit: Alamy
Several students complained of a burning sensation in their throat and mouth. Credit: Alamy

It was later revealed that the dispenser had been loaded with floor sealant instead of milk, but that both items had very similar clear plastic bag packaging.

Superintendent Weiss reported that while police 'don't know how [it] happened,' somehow the two bags ended up on the same pallet when being transported from cardboard boxes stored in a site off campus.

Advert

"That pallet was delivered, and the assumption was that it was milk because that's what we thought was being delivered," she reflected.

As per school standards, any chemicals used in the school are reported as having a low ingestion risk and subsequently there was no chemical odour to the sealant.

The bags have since been put in hazardous storage.

The milk and floor sealant ended up on the same pallet. Credit: Alamy
The milk and floor sealant ended up on the same pallet. Credit: Alamy
Advert

As well as poison control and police being called to the school, a safety team was sent by NANA Management Services as soon as the company was alerted to the incident.

The company stated: "We are in the midst of a comprehensive investigation that will look at every contributing factor to determine exactly what happened and to identify potential safety measures."

UNILAD has contacted Sitʼ Eeti Shaanax Glacier Valley Elementary School for comment.

If you have a story you want to tell, send it to UNILAD via [email protected]  

Featured Image Credit: Glacier Valley School/Facebook/Alamy

Topics: News, US News, Education, Food and Drink

Poppy Bilderbeck
More like this
Advert
Advert
Advert

Chosen for YouChosen for You

Film & TV

People are convinced The Simpsons predicted Monkeypox

3 hours ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

Earth spinning faster than ever could cause chaos for timekeeping

2 hours ago