| Last updated
A 42-year-old man has been arrested and charged with murder, attempted murder and terrorist acts, after a shooting that left two dead and 21 injured in Oslo, Norway.
Emergency service rushed to the London Pub, a popular LGBTQ+ venue in the city, after getting reports of gunfire at 01:14 am (23:14 GMT).
Police have since confirmed that they are investigating the shooting as a ‘terrorist attack’ after they arrested one man, a Norwegian citizen of Iranian origin, who they believe acted alone.
They added that the suspect was armed with two weapons during the incident, but have not disclosed what weapons he used amid the pending investigation.
According to CNN, Prosecutor Christian Hatlo told reporters that the individual was 'known to the police', but has only received 'minor convictions' up until now.
Following the shocking events, Norwegian Prime Minister Jonas Gahr Støre called it a 'terrible and deeply shocking attack on innocent people'.
"My thoughts go to the victims and their relatives," Støre said on Facebook.
"We do not yet know what was behind this terrible act, but to the queer community who are now scared and in mourning, I want to say that we are all with you."
Norway's Justice Minister Emilie Enger Mehl said the incident had shaken the country.
She said: "Norway is a community of trust where everyone should feel safe outside on a Saturday night."
One witness in the London Pub told NRK that he had been hit by flying glass and described the panic among revellers.
He told NRK: "I was in the outer bar in London when it happened. I just noticed that a shot was fired, and I was hit by a shard of glass.
“There were more and more and more shots, so I escaped into the inner bar and tried to get as many as possible with me.
"At first people did not understand what was happening, but then there was panic."
A woman has since claimed that the gunman had taken careful aim at his targets.
Speaking to Verdens Gang newspaper, she said: "When I understood that it was serious, I ran. There was a man covered in blood motionless on the floor."
In light of the attack, Oslo's annual Pride parade, which was scheduled to take place on Saturday (25 June), has been cancelled following police advice.
The police is now investigating the mass shooting in Oslo as terrorism.— 𝐌𝐢𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐞𝐥 𝐀𝐫𝐢𝐳𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐢 (@MArizanti) June 25, 2022
Since the perpetrator targeted a gay bar - it is not far-fetched that the mass shooting was politically or religiously motivated, and it also indicates that the perpetrator has a extremist background. #Oslove pic.twitter.com/MFpnoI9ibc
Writing on Facebook, organisers asked everyone not to attend and said all events in connection with Pride were also cancelled.
In a joint statement, Inger Kristin Haugsevje, leader of Oslo Pride, and Inge Alexander Gjestvang, leader of the Association for Gender and Sexuality Diversity, wrote: "We will follow the police's recommendations and take care of each other.
“Warm thoughts and love go to relatives, the injured and others affected.
"We will soon be proud and visible again, but today we will hold and share the pride celebrations from home."
Featured Image Credit: TERJE PEDERSEN/NTB/AFP via Getty Images/JAVAD PARSA/NTB/AFP via Getty Images
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read