• News
  • Film and TV
  • Music
  • Tech
  • Features
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Weird
  • Community
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
Netflix Says It 'May Not Be The Best Place' For Employees Who Can't Work On Titles They Think Are 'Harmful'

Home> News

Published 20:49 13 May 2022 GMT+1

Netflix Says It 'May Not Be The Best Place' For Employees Who Can't Work On Titles They Think Are 'Harmful'

The streaming giant issues a memo after staff accused the comedian of 'hate speech' in his latest special

Tom Sanders

Tom Sanders

Netflix has issued a new memo telling staff members the company 'may not be the best place' for them if they struggle to work on content they find offensive.

The updated ‘culture memo’ states that bosses will not ‘censor specific artists or voices’ even if employees consider the content 'harmful'.

The move is widely seen to be a response to the mass walkout of Netflix employees late last year, when dozens of employees staged a protest in defiance of the streaming giant’s platforming of comedian Dave Chappelle.

The comedian's latest special sparked a fierce backlash in the LGBTQ+ community over jokes he made about the transgender community.

Advert

Staff at the technology company branded Chappelle’s comments as 'hate speech' during their walkout last October and published a list of demands calling on the company to 'avoid future instances of platforming transphobia and hate speech'.

Dave Chappelle on his Netflix special The Closer.
Alamy

However, their grievances appear to have fallen on deaf ears, as Netflix CEO Reed Hastings went on to publicly side with Chappelle and claimed that the company would continue to work with the comedian.

Now these comments appear to have become enshrined into company policy via an internal memo.

Advert

First reported by Variety, the memo reads: “Entertaining the world is an amazing opportunity and also a challenge because viewers have very different tastes and points of view.

“Not everyone will like - or agree with - everything on our service.

“As employees we support the principle that Netflix offers a diversity of stories, even if we find some titles counter to our own personal values.

“Depending on your role, you may need to work on titles you perceive to be harmful.

Advert

“If you’d find it hard to support our content breadth, Netflix may not be the best place for you.”

Dave Chappelle's last Netflix special received backlash from the LGBTQ+ community.
Alamy

The memo arrives in the wake of recent comments made by Tesla CEO Elon Musk, who claimed that the company had been infected with a “woke mind virus” that was making its programming unwatchable, despite the streaming platform producing the Return To Space documentary widely praising Musk, which premiered in April.

The document also called on workers to reign in corporate spending, asking employees to ‘spend our members’ money wisely’, despite shelling out a reported $24 million on Chappelle's The Closer.

Advert

Netflix has also announced it will not be streaming the comedian’s latest special which saw him attacked by a man on stage.

If you have a story you want to tell, send it to UNILAD via [email protected]  

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: Netflix

Tom Sanders
Tom Sanders

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

7 hours ago
8 hours ago
  • Ukraine Armed Forces — 58th Separate Motorized Infantry BrigadeUkraine Armed Forces — 58th Separate Motorized Infantry Brigade
    7 hours ago

    Unbelievable footage shows moment Ukraine blows up two key Russian bridges using their own mines amid WW3 fears

    A Ukrainian brigade confirmed the attack took place on August 23 - days after Trump met with Russian President Putin

    News
  • FREDERIC J. BROWN/GettyFREDERIC J. BROWN/Getty
    8 hours ago

    Family sues Elon Musk’s Tesla after alleging Cybertruck owner’s bones disintegrated in inferno after crash

    Michael Sheehan, 47, became trapped inside his Cybertruck when the battery burst into flames

    News
  • ANDREW CABALLERO-REYNOLDS/GettyANDREW CABALLERO-REYNOLDS/Getty
    8 hours ago

    Four bizarre reasons people thought Trump had died as he’s pictured for the first time since rumors broke internet

    The US President was pictured on the South Lawn in the capital on Saturday

    News
  • Nadina/CC BY-SA 3.0Nadina/CC BY-SA 3.0
    8 hours ago

    Terrifying skull found in cave wall leaves scientists baffled as it’s not human or Neanderthal

    It's believed the skull was first found in the 1960s

    News
  • Netflix fans demands are answered as steamer confirms that 'best series of 2025' is getting another season
  • Netflix viewers lose it as they 'work out' where iconic loading sound comes from
  • Netflix viewers can't get enough of new series that's 'one of the best crime thrillers'
  • Netflix viewers can't get over 'best drama' that's so good they're binging it in one weekend