unilad homepage
unilad homepage
  • News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • World News
    • Crime
    • Health
    • Money
    • Sport
    • Travel
  • Music
  • Technology
  • Film and TV
    • News
    • DC Comics
    • Disney
    • Marvel
    • Netflix
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
Cruise ship with 400 passengers loses ability to navigate after storm
Home>News
Updated 15:02 4 Mar 2024 GMTPublished 08:58 22 Dec 2023 GMT

Cruise ship with 400 passengers loses ability to navigate after storm

The vessel was traveling between Norway and the UK when it lost power

Gerrard Kaonga

Gerrard Kaonga

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: YouTube / HX Hurtigruten Expeditions

Topics: News, Travel, World News, Cruise ship

Gerrard Kaonga
Gerrard Kaonga

Gerrard is a Journalist at UNILAD and has dived headfirst into covering everything from breaking global stories to trending entertainment news. He has a bachelors in English Literature from Brunel University and has written across a number of different national and international publications. Most notably the Financial Times, Daily Express, Evening Standard and Newsweek.

Advert

Advert

Advert

A storm and difficult conditions in the North Sea resulted in a cruise ship losing power and navigation ability.

On Thursday (December 21), a Norwegian cruise ship suffered a power outage after a 'rogue wave' shattered windows on the bridge. Following this, the vessel lost the ability to navigate.

The cruise ship, MS Maud, reportedly has 266 passengers and 131 crew members on board and was traveling from Floroe, in Norway, to Tilbury, UK.

Advert

The Danish Joint Rescue Coordination Centre has said it believes none of those on board are harmed or in danger.

"There is no power on the ship. The main engine is functioning but the navigation systems and radars are not," a spokesperson for the centre, which is responsible for coordinating search and rescue operations, said.

The centre also confirmed the 'situation is under control'.

Hurtigruten Expeditions (HX), who owns the MS Maud vessel and is a unit of Norway’s Hurtigruten Group, has spoken to the media about the ongoing situation.

The Danish Joint Rescue Coordination Centre has said it believes none of the passengers or crew were harmed.
YouTube / HX Hurtigruten Expeditions

“Earlier this afternoon, December 21, MS Maud reported a temporary loss of power after encountering a rogue wave,” HX said in an emailed statement to Reuters.

“At this time, the ship has confirmed that no serious passenger or crew injuries have been sustained as a result of the incident and the condition of the ship remains stable.

“In line with our robust operational protocols, in addition to assuring the wellbeing of all aboard, the crew immediately conducted thorough safety checks and technical assessments.

“Further assessments are now being made for onward sailing. The ship is in direct contact with the relevant maritime authorities and shoreside support teams.”

Even though the ship does not have power or navigation capabilities, it is being steered manually from the engine room. Authorities planned to tow the vessel to a Danish port around 10:30 pm local time.

The vessel is now is being steered manually from the engine room.
YouTube / HX Hurtigruten Expeditions

A spokesperson from the centre has reiterated it does not believe the ship or those on board are in any danger.

“I don't think there is any danger to the ship now. If the captain thought so, he would have asked to be evacuated which he hasn't,” the spokesperson said.

The North Sea is infamous for its strong and harsh storms and on Thursday the vessel experienced hurricane-force gusts blowing from the northwest that were forecast to continue on Friday.

A spokesperson for HX has since told UNILAD: "Yesterday afternoon, December 21, MS Maud reported a temporary loss of power after encountering a rogue wave. The ship was sailing towards Tilbury, UK from Florø, Norway when the incident occurred.

"At this time, the ship has confirmed that no serious guest or crew injuries have been sustained as a result of the incident. The condition of the ship remains stable and the crew are able to sail under their own power.

"Following ongoing safety checks and technical assessments, given the weather conditions, we decided to amend the planned sailing route. Across the fleet, there are thorough operational protocols in place and we always prioritise the safety of those onboard. The ship is currently sailing to Bremerhaven, Germany for disembarkation. Our team are working to arrange onward travel back home for guests onboard.”

UNILAD has contacted The Danish Joint Rescue Coordination Centre for further updates.

Choose your content:

3 hours ago
4 hours ago
  • Getty Stock Photo
    3 hours ago

    Criminal lawyer reveals the one mistake that makes murder suspects appear instantly guilty

    The High Court advocate says that it's the little inconsistencies that give prosecutors the big picture behind a criminal's lies

    News
  • Facebook
    3 hours ago

    Wellness coach dies after 'detox' using 'frog poison drug'

    Krystian Trend was taking part in a 'purging' ritual involving a poison secreted in the skins of frogs from 5000 miles away

    News
  • Netflix
    4 hours ago

    AI names 'creepiest' series on Netflix and even Stephen King agrees

    Artificial intelligence has found the 'creepiest' show on Netflix and fans think it might be 'the best horror TV show ever made'

    Film & TV
  • James Gilbert/Getty Images
    4 hours ago

    Symptoms of sepsis explained as NASCAR driver Kyle Busch dies suddenly aged 41

    Busch died on May 21 at age 41 after being hospitalized hours earlier

    News
  • Cruise ship passengers cleared to leave ship after norovirus outbreak sickens dozens
  • France confines over 1,700 passengers aboard cruise ship after suspected virus outbreak
  • Symptoms of norovirus as France confines more than 1,700 people on cruise ship following outbreak
  • Global search underway for 30 cruise passengers who left ship following hantavirus outbreak