unilad homepage
unilad homepage
  • News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • World News
    • Crime
    • Health
    • Money
    • Sport
    • Travel
  • Music
  • Technology
  • Film and TV
    • News
    • DC Comics
    • Disney
    • Marvel
    • Netflix
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
Alabama woman who disappeared for 49 hours after claiming to see baby on road admits the truth
Home>News>Crime
Published 09:20 25 Jul 2023 GMT+1

Alabama woman who disappeared for 49 hours after claiming to see baby on road admits the truth

Carlee Russell claimed that she had seen a toddler by the roadside

Kit Roberts

Kit Roberts

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: Hoover Police Department

Topics: US News, Crime

Kit Roberts
Kit Roberts

Kit joined UNILAD in 2023 as a community journalist. They have previously worked for StokeonTrentLive, the Daily Mirror, and the Daily Star.

Advert

Advert

Advert

The woman from Alabama who went missing after claiming she had seen a toddler get abducted on the freeway has now revealed the truth.

Carlethia 'Carlee' Nichole Russell, 25, went missing on 13 July after putting in a call to 911 at around 9.34pm.

In the call, she told operators that she had seen a toddler aged around three to four years walking by the south carriageway of Interstate 459 near Birmingham, Alabama.

Russell then called a family member, who lost contact with her while the phone line remained open, police said.

Advert

But after two days of concern and uncertainty, Russell returned home on 15 July and was taken to a hospital for evaluation.

In a police interview following her return, she claimed that a man with orange hair had come out of nearby woods to check on the toddler. However, he had then picked Russell up and made her go over a fence which was nearby.

Carlee Russell has revealed the truth about her alleged disappearance.
Hoover Police Department / TCA

Following this, she claimed that the man had forced her into a car, saying she could remember being inside an 18-wheeler trailer.

She also claimed that after being blindfolded and made to undress, she was able to escape from the trailer but was then recaptured and put into a car.

Now, however, in an extraordinary statement released to authorities, Russell admitted that in fact she had fabricated the entire story.

In an email to the Hoover Police Department, Russell's attorney Emery Anthony said: "My client did not have any help in this incident. This was a single act done by herself.

"My client was not with anyone or any hotel with anyone from the time she was missing. My client apologizes for her actions to this community, the volunteers who were searching for her, to the Hoover Police Department and other agencies as well and to her friends and family."

Russell claimed that she had seen a toddler by the roadside.
Hoover Police Department / TCA

However, authorities are still not sure exactly what happened during the 49 hours Russell had been missing.

They are currently considering whether to pursue charges against Russell since the revelations about her claims came out.

Police Chief Nicholas Derzis told reporters: "We still don't know what happened in those 49 hours, where she was. Did she have any help? We have no idea.

"We wanted the focus to be, bring her home. She got home. We're very excited about that. That facts that I (spoke about) last Wednesday pretty much showed that we knew it was a hoax."

Despite a search, no evidence of a toddler walking by the road was ever found by police.

Choose your content:

7 hours ago
8 hours ago
9 hours ago
  • James Gilbert/Getty Images
    7 hours ago

    Kyle Busch's cause of death confirmed as sepsis after NASCAR driver died aged 41

    The family confirmed that Busch died after complications of sepsis progressing from severe pneumonia

    News

    breaking

  • Allen J. Schaben/Los Angeles Times via Getty Images
    8 hours ago

    California toxic chemical leak sparks explosion fears as 40,000 evacuated in 'crisis situation'

    Officials have warned that the tank leak in Orange County may 'spill or explode'

    News
  • Maldives President Press Office
    9 hours ago

    Expert says Maldives diving accident victims were just minutes away from reaching surface

    Finnish rescue diver Sami Paakkarinen has said the group lacked 'basic cave diving equipment'

    News
  • Getty Stock Images
    9 hours ago

    Cancer-causing chemicals hidden in many common foods, scientists discover

    It has raised concerns about long-term health risks

    News
  • Matthew Perry drug counselor who delivered him ketamine sentenced
  • Woman sues clinic after giving birth to baby who is not biologically hers
  • DNA test results for woman claiming she's Madeleine McCann finally revealed
  • Alabama woman opens up on wedding night car accident that led to life changing diagnosis