• News
  • Film and TV
  • Music
  • Tech
  • Features
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Weird
  • Community
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
‘Most wanted’ murder suspect is found working as a cop after spending 20 years on the run

Home> News> Crime

Updated 17:03 18 Aug 2024 GMT+1Published 17:04 18 Aug 2024 GMT+1

‘Most wanted’ murder suspect is found working as a cop after spending 20 years on the run

Antonio 'El Diablo' Riano is a suspect in the murder of Benjamin Becarra and has been on the run since 2005

Gerrard Kaonga

Gerrard Kaonga

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

A man who featured on TV show America’s Most Wanted was hiding out for around 20 years in the most surprising profession.

Antonio ‘El Diablo’ Riano, 62, has pleaded not guilty Butler County Court earlier this month after finally being arrested after being on the run for decades.

Riano had featured on TV show America’s Most Wanted in 2005 for his alleged involvement in a shooting outside a bar in Ohio back in December 2004.

An incident resulted in the death of 25-year-old Benjamin Becarra and the victim’s body was found shot in the face outside Roadhouse Bar in Hamilton, Ohio.

Advert

Antonio ‘El Diablo’ Riano is believed to be on the run since 2005 (Butler County Jail)
Antonio ‘El Diablo’ Riano is believed to be on the run since 2005 (Butler County Jail)

Following his arrest on August 1, Common Pleas Court Judge Michael Oster Jr. ordered no bond for Riano meaning he will remain at Butler County Jail.

The Mexican national was located by authorities in his hometown of Zapotitlán Palmas, State of Oaxaca, Mexico. It was here that investigators discovered he was working as a local cop.

A move that can be considered well thought out and meticulous or brazen and bold given the circumstances.

In 2004, Riano was previously involved in a brawl at the bar the shooting occurred, according to an interview by the prosecutor’s chief investigator, Paul Newton.

According to Newton, Riano then returned to the bar on December 19 and was asked to leave by the bartender, an order he refused.

An argument quickly arose between Riano and Becerra and the bartender told the pair to take it outside. Not moments later, Becerra was shot in the face and found lying face down as Riano had fled the scene.

Antonio ‘El Diablo’ Riano has pleaded not guilty to a murder that happened in 2004 (Fox 19)
Antonio ‘El Diablo’ Riano has pleaded not guilty to a murder that happened in 2004 (Fox 19)

Police were able to identify Riano from surveillance camera footage at the bar as well as witness testimony.

The gun used in the shooting was found 10 days later, hidden in a secret compartment under the kitchen floor in Riano’s Hamilton home.

On February 16, 2005, Riano was expected to appear for his scheduled arraignment after being indicted on first-degree murder but he never showed.

The manhunt for the suspect then began.

Following the arrest of Riano, Michael T. Gmoser, Butler County Prosecutor praised the officers and investigators involved for capturing the fugitive.

He said: “This type of apprehension would not be possible without the cooperation and due diligence of both the Prosecutor’s Office investigators, the United States Marshal Service, and the United States Department of Justice."

Riano is due back in court later this month.

Featured Image Credit: Butler County Jail/NBC News

Topics: Crime, World News, Mexico

Gerrard Kaonga
Gerrard Kaonga

Gerrard is a Journalist at UNILAD and has dived headfirst into covering everything from breaking global stories to trending entertainment news. He has a bachelors in English Literature from Brunel University and has written across a number of different national and international publications. Most notably the Financial Times, Daily Express, Evening Standard and Newsweek.

Advert

Advert

Advert

  • Bondi beach shooting suspect breaks silence from prison months after gruesome attack
  • Nearly 400 dead bodies found piled up at mysterious site at US and Mexico border
  • 'Sleeping Prince' dies after spending 20 years in coma following devastating car crash
  • Netflix star Sara Burack found dead aged 40 as police launch manhunt for suspect on the run

Choose your content:

11 mins ago
13 hours ago
14 hours ago
  • Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty Images
    11 mins ago

    British government officially considering removing Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor from royal line of succession

    Andrew is currently eighth in line to the British throne

    News
  • Keegan Barber/NASA via Getty Images
    13 hours ago

    NASA blast Boeing and reveal exactly what they think was to blame after astronauts were stranded in space for months

    A NASA boss has said that the failure of a Starliner was a 'Type A' mishap

    News
  • Getty Stock Image
    13 hours ago

    Scientist gave octopus MDMA and recorded shocking results

    The study examined how the octopuses' behaviour changed when they were given the drug

    News
  • Fox43 News/YouTube
    14 hours ago

    86-year-old farmer rejects $15 million offer from AI data center to sell his land and makes his own deal

    Mervin Raudabaugh has farmed the land for 50 years

    News