unilad homepage
unilad homepage
  • News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • World News
    • Crime
    • Health
    • Money
    • Sport
    • Travel
  • Music
  • Technology
  • Film and TV
    • News
    • DC Comics
    • Disney
    • Marvel
    • Netflix
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
Judge says Travis Scott must face jury trial in Astroworld lawsuits
Home>Celebrity>News
Published 17:31 27 Apr 2024 GMT+1

Judge says Travis Scott must face jury trial in Astroworld lawsuits

Despite previous judge rulings, Travis Scott’s legal troubles are not over just yet

Gerrard Kaonga

Gerrard Kaonga

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: Steve Granitz/FilmMagic via Getty, Gary Miller/Getty Images

Topics: Music, Travis Scott, US News

Gerrard Kaonga
Gerrard Kaonga

Gerrard is a Journalist at UNILAD and has dived headfirst into covering everything from breaking global stories to trending entertainment news. He has a bachelors in English Literature from Brunel University and has written across a number of different national and international publications. Most notably the Financial Times, Daily Express, Evening Standard and Newsweek.

Advert

Advert

Advert

Rapper Travis Scott is now expected to face a jury trial after his motion from a judge earlier this week.

Travis Scott, real name Jacques Bermon Webster II, was hoping to have the sprawling litigation the 2021 disaster at the Astroworld music festival dismissed.

Back in 2021, during the festival in which 50,000 supporters attended, 10 fans died and hundreds more injured after a stampede broke out.

On Wednesday (April 24), Judge Kristen Hawkin denied the motion meaning the rapper will have to face a trial next month. The judge offered no written rationale for her ruling.

Advert

Judge Kristen Hawkin denied the motion meaning the rapper will have to face a trial next month. (Ethan Miller/Getty Images)
Judge Kristen Hawkin denied the motion meaning the rapper will have to face a trial next month. (Ethan Miller/Getty Images)

The first trial in the massive litigation, a wrongful death case filed by the family of 23 year-old Madison Dubiski who died at Astroworld, is set to start on May 6.

According to reports at the time, the festival goers who tragically passed away ranged in age from nine to 27. The official cause of death was asphyxiation, meaning they were unable to breathe due to be being crushed in the crowd.

In the wake of the incident, the Houston native released a statement saying the tragedy left him 'distraught'.

Scott’s attorneys had argued that the safety of the event was not the responsibility of the performing artists and argued he was not responsible.

“Like any other adrenaline-inducing diversion, music festivals must balance exhilaration with safety and security—but that balance is not the job of performing artists, even those involved in promoting and marketing performances,” Daniel Petrocelli, Scott’s attorney wrote.

The festival goers who tragically passed away ranged in age from nine to 27. (Sean Zanni/Getty Images for Sinan Tuna)
The festival goers who tragically passed away ranged in age from nine to 27. (Sean Zanni/Getty Images for Sinan Tuna)

“Which only makes sense: Performing artists, even those who engage in certain promotional activities, have no inherent expertise or specialized knowledge in concert safety measures, venue security protocols, or site-design.”

Previously, when a Texas grand jury declined to indict Travis on any criminal charges relating to the concert, Lawyer Kent Schaffer, made a similar statement.

“He never encouraged people to do anything that resulted in other people being hurt. Travis is not responsible,” he said.

Dubiski’s attorney has argued back against these claims and insisted Scott had a ‘conscious disregard for safety.’

Reports have stated the attorney supported this claim by referencing a tweet Scott allegedly posted on the day of the concert in which he said ‘we still sneaking the wild ones in.’

They also argued that he ignored orders from festival organizers to stop the concert when conditions turned dangerous.

UNILAD has contacted Travis Scott’s representatives for comment.

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
9 hours ago
18 hours ago
  • (Photo by Vianney Le Caer/Dave Benett/Getty Images for The Ivors)
    an hour ago

    Harry Styles says he lost his virginity during the intro to this song and it’s only 10 seconds long

    The 32-year-old flew in from his sold-out tour to honour his hero Thom Yorke at the Ivor Novello Awards

    Celebrity
  • James Gilbert/Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Kyle Busch shared heartbreaking last words after his final NASCAR victory before sudden death

    The two-time NASCAR Cup Series champion died aged 41 after a 'severe illness'

    Celebrity
  • Jonathan Bachman/Getty Images
    9 hours ago

    NASCAR legend Kyle Busch dead at 41 after ‘severe illness’

    The heartbreaking news came just hours after his family had confirmed he had been hospitalized

    Celebrity
  •  Kevin Winter/Getty Images
    18 hours ago

    Chelsea Handler slams Tony Hinchcliffe and Shane Gillis for making 'racist' jokes that should never be made

    The Roast of Kevin Hart continues to make headlines for a series of controversial jokes

    Celebrity
  • Travis Scott fans convinced he just made a random reference about size of ex Kylie Jenner's boobs in new song
  • Jury hears texts MLB star Scott Erickson allegedly sent day after seeing lover kill two boys on crosswalk
  • Why Emily Willis' legal case and jury trial could be thrown out two years after cardiac arrest
  • Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce announce they are engaged in touching post