To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Trump Responds To Elon Musk’s Twitter Bid

Trump Responds To Elon Musk’s Twitter Bid

Trump has responded to Elon Musk’s $41.39 billion (£31bn) Twitter bid, saying he ‘wouldn’t have any interest’ in returning to the platform

Donald Trump has responded to Elon Musk’s $41.39 billion (£31bn) Twitter bid, after the Tesla and SpaceX CEO made an offer to purchase the social media giant.

Trump has not had a Twitter account since January 2021. The tech giant said at the time that the former president’s profile had been ‘permanently suspended due to the risk of further incitement of violence’ following the Capitol riots that month.

Speaking this week, Trump branded Twitter ‘boring’ and pointed to the lack of conservative voices on the platform.

Donald Trump has responded to Elon Musk’s $41.39 billion (£31bn) Twitter bid.
Alamy

When asked whether he’d return to Twitter if Musk reinstated his account, Trump replied during an interview with SiriusXM's Americano Media: “We're doing a big platform right now so I probably wouldn't have any interest.”

Trump was referring to Truth Social, his own social media platform.

He added: “Twitter has become very boring, they've got rid of a lot of their good voices on Twitter, a lot of their conservative voices.

"Now it's boring and friends of mine tell me that Twitter is not the same place, it's a very boring place right now."

Meanwhile, it was reported on Thursday, 14 April, that Twitter’s board of directors is unlikely to accept Musk’s offer to buy the social media platform after his $41.39 billion (£31bn) offer.

The Tesla and SpaceX chief explained in a letter to Twitter chairman Bret Taylor why he wanted to buy the company.

Musk said: "Since making my investment I now realise the company will neither thrive nor serve this societal imperative in its current form. Twitter needs to be transformed as a private company.

It was reported on Thursday that Twitter’s board of directors is unlikely to accept Musk’s offer.
Alamy

"My offer is my best and final offer and if it is not accepted, I would need to reconsider my position as a shareholder."

Musk did admit during the ED2022 conference in Vancouver on Thursday that he is unsure whether his Twitter bid ‘will be successful’.

“I am not sure that I will actually be able to acquire it," Musk said, according to Reuters.

He added: "This is not a way to sort of make money. My strong intuitive sense is that having a public platform that is maximally trusted and broadly inclusive, is extremely important to the future of civilisation.”

The news agency adds that during his talk, Musk was asked whether there is a Plan B should Twitter reject his offer.

Musk told the audience: “There is.”

Twitter shareholder Prince Alwaleed bin Talal was quick to dismiss Musk’s bid, tweeting on Thursday: “I don't believe that the proposed offer by Elon Musk comes close to the intrinsic value of Twitter given its growth prospects."

If you have a story you want to tell, send it to UNILAD via [email protected]  

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: Elon Musk, Donald Trump, Twitter