Hospital evacuated after 88-year-old man arrives with WW1 bomb lodged in rectum
| Last updated
Featured Image Credit: @acommonlawyer/Twitter/Hôpital Sainte Musse
Doctors were left shell shocked after a man arrived at hospital with a World War One bomb stuck in his rectum.
The incident sparked a bomb scare and led to the hospital in France being partly evacuated after the 88-year-old came in for help on Saturday.
“An emergency occurred from 9pm to 11.30pm on Saturday evening that required the intervention of bomb disposal personnel, the evacuation of adult and paediatric emergencies as well as the diversion of incoming emergencies,” a spokesperson at Hospital Sainte Musse in Toulon, told Var-Matin.
When bomb disposal experts arrived at the hospital, after examining the man they determined that it was unlikely the artillery shell – which was eight inches long and more than two inches wide - would explode inside the man.
“They reassured us by telling us that it was a collector’s item from the First World War, used by the French military,” the hospital spokesperson added.
“We had to manage the risk in a reactive framework. When in doubt, we took all the precautions.”
Once they had the all clear from the bomb experts, doctors began trying to remove the unusual object from the man’s rear, which they believed he’d inserted for sexual pleasure.
But they were dumbstruck at the object of choice, with one doctor reportedly remarking: “An apple, a mango or even a can of shaving foam, we are used to finding unusual objects inserted where they shouldn’t be. But a shell? Never!”
Taking to social media, many others were also in disbelief at the choice of object.
“I’ve heard of troops bringing the rear up but this is too far,” said one.
While another commented: “He could've just used suppositories!”
Others couldn’t help but make light of the unusual situation with one user writing: “Guess he wanted to go with a bang.”
“He was one fart away from redefining what "explosive diarrhoea" is,” joked another.
Another person even likened the situation to an episode of Grey’s Anatomy, while someone else suggested: “I would have given him lots of Taco Bell and stayed clear.....”
After being unable to remove the bomb through initial examination, medics were forced to take the elderly patient into surgery.
There they cut open his abdomen to remove the unusual antique.
Thankfully, according to the hospital, the man is now in good health and is expected to make a full recovery.