To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Not now
OK
Advert
Advert
Advert

Heartbroken parents want to 'spread the word' after 13-year-old daughter dies from chroming

Kit Roberts

Published 
| Last updated 

Heartbroken parents want to 'spread the word' after 13-year-old daughter dies from chroming

Featured Image Credit: 9 News

The heartbroken parents of a girl who died after 'chroming' have spoken out.

'Chroming' involves inhaling fumes from an aerosol can, such as one containing deodorant, and can be incredibly dangerous.

This is the message the parents of Esra Haynes, a 13-year-old girl from Australia who died after 'chroming', want to make absolutely clear.

Advert

Esra died on 31 March this year after 'chroming' at a sleepover. The 13-year-old, who was a Year 8 student from Lilydale High School in Melbourne, went into cardiac arrest and suffered irreparable brain damage.

Loading…

In an interview with A Current Affair, her parents said they had no idea what was coming.

Esra's mom, Andrea, said: “It was just the regular routine of going to hang out with her mates."

Advert

Her dad, Paul, added: “We always knew where she was and we knew who she was with.

“It wasn’t anything out of the ordinary.

“To get this phone call at that time of night, [it] was one of the calls no parent ever wants to have to receive and we unfortunately got that call: ‘Come and get your daughter.’

“We’ve got the pictures in our mind which will never be erased, you know, of what we were confronted with.”

Advert

Her parents were greeted by the sight of paramedics fighting to save Esra, with them telling her mom that she had taken part in the dangerous trend.

Esra Haynes had been over to a friend's house. Credit: A Current Affair
Esra Haynes had been over to a friend's house. Credit: A Current Affair

She was then rushed to hospital unresponsive, where she was placed on life support.

Eight days later, with her brain ‘damaged beyond repair’, Esra's parents made the heartbreaking decision to turn off the machines.

Advert

Paul continued: “They’re asking us to bring a family, friends to say goodbye to our 13-year-old daughter.

“It was a very, very difficult thing to do to such a young soul.”

It was devastating for the family, including Esra’s older siblings Imogen, Seth, and Charlie, who ‘cuddled her until the end’.

This latest incident is sadly not the first to occur from something like this.

Advert

In 2019, a 16-year-old boy died in New South Wales from aerosol inhalation.

Then, in 2021 a Queensland girl suffered brain damage from 'chroming'.

Some supermarkets have even been forced to lock up deodorant cans because of increased theft and concerns about what they are being used for.

Schools and regional education departments are also trying to teach kids about the dangers of 'chroming', as well as medical experts.

Paul and Andrea Haynes want real action taken to stop 'chroming'. Credit: A Current Affair
Paul and Andrea Haynes want real action taken to stop 'chroming'. Credit: A Current Affair

It’s not enough for Paul and Andrea though - they want deodorant formula to be changed to be safer, as well as CPR training to be given in all schools.

“For me it’s a pistol sitting on the shelf,” Paul said.

“We need the manufacturers to step up and really change the formulation or the propellants.”

He also argued that social media must be more closely monitored, as he believes that is where Esra found out about the trend.

More importantly, they want to share the consequences of 'chroming' with families and kids.

Paul said: “Kids don’t look beyond the next day, they really don’t. And especially not knowing how it can affect them.

“Esra would never have done this if she would have known the consequences.”

His wife added: “But the ripple effect is that this is absolutely devastating.

“We’ve got no child to bring home or anything.”

Paul concluded: “We need to talk about it.

“Her name meant helper so that’s what we’re here to do.”

Topics: News, Australia, World News, Drugs, Social Media

Kit Roberts
More like this
Advert
Advert
Advert

Chosen for YouChosen for You

News

Man exploring abandoned nuke base makes chilling discovery

2 hours ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

Woman with unfortunate initials goes viral after HR refuses to use her name in emails

2 days ago