Advert

Why Prince Andrew Is Still Referred To As A ‘Prince’ Despite Queen’s Decision

Published 

Why Prince Andrew Is Still Referred To As A 'Prince' Despite Queen's DecisionAlamy

Prince Andrew is set to defend himself in his sexual abuse case as a ‘private citizen’ after he was stripped of his military titles and royal patronages, but despite the Queen’s decision he can still hold on to the title of ‘prince’. 

Buckingham Palace announced news of the move in a statement released this week after a judge rejected the Duke of York’s motion to dismiss the civil case brought against him by Virginia Roberts Giuffre.

Advert

The palace explained that Andrew’s ‘military affiliations and royal patronages have been returned to the Queen’, and that he would ‘continue not to undertake any public duties.’

Prince Andrew (Alamy)Alamy

As a result of the decision, the Duke’s current roles, including his role as Colonel of the Grenadier Guards, one of the oldest regiments in the British army, will be handed to other members of the royal family, The Independent reports.

The move means Andrew has dropped the ‘His Royal Highness (HRH)’ title and will no longer be able to use it in any official capacity, however, he is still a prince because he was born as such, as Queen Elizabeth II’s third child.

Advert

As for his dukedom, this was gifted to him by the Queen on his wedding day, with PA News Agency noting that the Queen is unlikely to remove it at this stage, if at all.

The prince is still in line for the throne and is currently ninth in the line of succession, following Prince Charles, Prince William and his three children, and Prince Harry and his two children.

Commenting on the decision in The Spectator, former BBC royal correspondent Peter Hunt wrote: ‘This is what a sacking looks like when you’re ninth in line to the British throne. No more appearances on the Buckingham Palace balcony; riding horseback during Trooping the Colour; or laying a wreath at the Cenotaph on Remembrance Sunday.’

Advert

Meanwhile, Norman Baker, a commentator on royal matters and a former government minister, said the prince had been ‘well and truly been chucked under the royal bus’, but noted the royal family ‘could not escape the immense damage’ that would be brought about by the sexual abuse case, The Guardian reports.

Prince Andrew and Virginia Roberts (Alamy)Alamy

Giuffre, who has accused Andrew of sexually assaulting her when she was 17 years old, has said she was ‘pleased’ with the judge’s decision to allow the case to continue.

In a post on Twitter, Giuffre thanked her ‘extraordinary’ legal team and said that their determination helps her seek justice ‘from those who hurt me and so many others.’

Advert

If you have been affected by any of the issues in this article and wish to speak to someone in confidence, contact the Rape Crisis England and Wales helpline on 0808 802 9999 between 12pm–2.30pm and 7pm– 9.30pm every day. Alternatively, you can contact Victim Support free on 08 08 16 89 111 available 24/7, every day of the year, including Christmas

Male Survivors Partnership is available to support adult male survivors of sexual abuse and rape. You can contact the organisation on their website or on their free helpline 0808 800 5005, open 9am–5pm Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays; 8am–8pm Tuesdays and Thursdays; 10am–2pm Saturdays

Topics: News, Duke of York, Now, Prince Andrew, Queen Elizabeth II, Virginia Giuffre

Credits

The Independent
  1. The Independent

    IS PRINCE ANDREW STILL IN LINE TO THE THRONE?

Emily Brown
More like this
Advert
Advert
Advert

Chosen for YouChosen for You

Film & TV

The Simpsons will finally reveal how they predict the future

4 hours ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

Olivia Newton-John has died aged 73

2 days ago