Suspected serial killer Rex Heuermann's wife breaks silence on 'Indescribable Catastrophe'
| Last updated
Featured Image Credit: Suffolk County Sheriff's Office/Facebook
The wife of a man arrested in connection with an unsolved serial killer case involving at least 10 victims has spoken out.
On Thursday (13 July), Rex Heuermann was arrested and taken into custody in Long Island, New York.
Heurmann is accused of being the man behind the 'Gilgo Four' murders which saw four sex workers' bodies discovered close to Gilgo Beach in Suffolk County.
His wife, Asa Ellerup, who filed for divorce earlier this month, has since addressed her husband's arrest.
The 'Gilgo Four' murders took place in 2010 and saw four sex workers killed and found wrapped in burlap.
Heuermann has been charged with the murders of three women and pleaded not guilty to the charges of first and second-degree murder. He is a prime suspect in the murder of the fourth woman.
The registered architect is also being investigated for the deaths of six more victims as between December 2010 and April 2011, 10 sets of human remains - including eight women, a man and a toddler - were discovered close to the beach, as per the New York Post.
Returning to the family home in Massapequa Park after police finished their search of the property on Tuesday (25 July), a few days later Ellerup told reporters they were welcome to take photographs, as per the Daily Mail.
She continued: "If you want to take pictures, go ahead. I'm okay with it now.
"If you want to stand up here and wait for something. I have a lot of work to do.
"The sheer depression of what I saw was enough trauma."
Ellerup added: "I got over the hurdle of what I saw inside."
While Ellerup didn't offer any explanation as to what she 'saw,' Suffolk County Police Commissioner Rodney Harrison previously said: "When we told the wife, she was shocked, she was embarrassed.
"But there was a point where we showed her certain pictures and she said, 'Ok, it is what it is'."
On Friday (27 July), Ellerup's lawyer released a statement on behalf of her and her children, noting they are 'enduring a profound and indescribable catastrophe'.
The statement continued: "On behalf of my family and especially my elderly neighbors, who have also had their lives turned upside down by the enormous police presence, in addition to the spectators, and news crews.
"They deserve to live peacefully; they should be able to walk their dogs and go to the grocery stores without cameras shoved in their faces.
"I am pleading with you all to give us space so that we may regain some normalcy in our neighborhood."
If you have experienced a bereavement and would like to speak with someone in confidence, contact Cruse Bereavement Care via their national helpline on 0808 808 1677