• News
  • Film and TV
  • Music
  • Tech
  • Features
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Weird
  • Community
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
Two girls found dead on New York City train after dangerous 'surfing' social media trend goes wrong

Home> News> US News

Published 15:35 5 Oct 2025 GMT+1

Two girls found dead on New York City train after dangerous 'surfing' social media trend goes wrong

The mayor of New York City Eric Adams previously issued a warning regarding the trend

Callum Jones

Callum Jones

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: Getty Images

Topics: Social Media, US News, New York

Callum Jones
Callum Jones

Advert

Advert

Advert

Two girls have died after they were found dead on top of a New York City subway train on Saturday morning (October 4).

Police in the Big Apple responded to a 911 call at around 3am on Saturday morning at the Marcy Avenue stop in Brooklyn.

Upon arrival, they found two unconscious and unresponsive females who were pronounced dead at the scene by healthcare professionals.

Authorities have not detailed the identities or ages of the deceased, though New York City Transit President Demetrius Crichlow confirmed it was 'young girls' involved in the incident.

Advert

The tragedy has lead to officials issuing a warning surrounding 'subway surfing', a trend reportedly fuelled by social media that has cost the lives of others on the New York network system.

Eric Adams, the Mayor of New York City, wrote on Twitter back in June: "Social media must be socially responsible. Subway Surfing kills. We need everyone to be a part of ending this dangerous threat."

New York mayor Eric Adams previously issued a warning about subway surfing (Adam Gray/Getty Images)
New York mayor Eric Adams previously issued a warning about subway surfing (Adam Gray/Getty Images)

Subway surfing involves riding on the outside of moving trains, whether that be holding on the side, or more typically, on top of these subway vehicles.

The obvious dangers from this trend involve electrical hazards, sudden train movements, and falling onto the tracks.

While subway surfing has seemingly been around for a while, some people criticise social media for its resurgence.

Crichlow said in a statement: "It’s heartbreaking that two young girls are gone because they somehow thought riding outside a subway train was an acceptable game.

"Parents, teachers, and friends need to be clear with loved ones: getting on top of a subway car isn’t ‘surfing’ — it’s suicide.

"I’m thinking of both the grieving families, and transit workers who discovered these children, all of whom have been horribly shaken by this tragedy."

Two 'young girls' have been found dead (Erik McGregor/LightRocket via Getty Images)
Two 'young girls' have been found dead (Erik McGregor/LightRocket via Getty Images)

Meanwhile, Zohran Mamdani, a New York City mayoral candidate, said: "My heart breaks for the families and loved ones of the two teenage girls who tragically lost their lives last night atop the J train."

Previous warnings have been issued regarding subway surfing, including from NYPD Chief of Transit Joseph M. Gulotta, who penned on X in 2024: "The dangers of subway surfing are real & its consequences potentially life-altering.

"With our youngest & most impressionable NYers returning to the subways since the return to school, a reminder to those who’d consider this dangerous act - think twice."

The New York Police Department detained 229 alleged subway surfing suspects in 2024, which was up from 135 the year before.

Choose your content:

6 hours ago
7 hours ago
8 hours ago
  • Anadolu/Getty
    6 hours ago

    Trump goes on confusing rant about Melania and details putting hand ‘on certain part of her body’ during Board of Peace speech

    The POTUS addressed the viral moment that an escalator stopped working for him and his wife at the UN headquarters

    News
  • Kerstin Gurtner/Facebook
    7 hours ago

    Climber who ‘left girlfriend to freeze to death' on top of mountain details final conversation they had

    Climber Thomas Plamberger is in court accused of gross negligent manslaughter

    News
  • Chip Somodevilla/Getty
    7 hours ago

    Trump speaks out about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest as former prince is released from custody

    Donald Trump has addressed Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor being arrested earlier today

    News
  • JORDAN PETTITT/POOL/AFP via Getty Images
    8 hours ago

    Police issue update as Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor released from custody following arrest

    Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was taken into custody on February 19 — the former Duke of York's 66th birthday

    News
  • Parents issue heartbreaking tribute after son, 13, dies 'while attempting dangerous social media challenge'
  • Chilling text messages sent to woman, 33, before she was found dead on yacht in major tourist destination
  • Man who worked in mysterious 29-story windowless skyscraper in New York City describes what it’s like inside
  • Pulp Fiction and The Mask actor Peter Greene found dead at 60 inside NYC apartment