• News
  • Film and TV
  • Music
  • Tech
  • Features
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Weird
  • Community
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
Donald Trump hits back at order to release father who was deported to 'world's worst prison' due to 'admin error'

Home> News> US News

Published 12:48 27 Apr 2025 GMT+1

Donald Trump hits back at order to release father who was deported to 'world's worst prison' due to 'admin error'

Kilmar Armando Abrego Garcia was mistakenly sent to El Salvador's mega-jail

Liv Bridge

Liv Bridge

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Donald Trump has addressed the order that files for the release of a father who was deported to El Salvador's mega-jail in an 'admin error'.

More than 250 people accused of committing crimes in the US were deported to El Salvador's mega prison, the Center for Terrorism Confinement, that is notorious for housing mass murderers and gang criminals last month.

The CECOT is considered the largest prison in the Americas and can home up to 40,000 inmates.

The Trump administration signed off on the mass deportation order after accusing many of the migrants of being involved with the Venezuelan gang, Tren de Aragua, or M3-13 gang.

Advert

However, Trump's team acknowledged it made an error in sending a Maryland father with protected legal status in the US to the jail.

Family members and friends have been campaigning for the man's return to the US (Alex Wong/Getty Images)
Family members and friends have been campaigning for the man's return to the US (Alex Wong/Getty Images)

Kilmar Armando Abrego Garcia, who is a Salvadoran national, had been granted protected status by an immigration judge back in 2019, essentially prohibiting the federal government from sending him back to the country.

While the mistake has been admitted, the authorities are struggling to find a way to release him from Salvadorian custody and back into the US.

The Supreme Court then stepped in with an order to 'facilitate and effectuate’ his return on Thursday (April 10), where the Court made a 9-0 ruling, which declined to block the lower court's order to the administration.

It means Abrego Garcia will need to be released ‘to ensure that his case is handled as it would have been had he not been improperly sent’.

US Sen. Chris Van Hollen met with Abrego Garcia after his deportation (Sen. Van Hollen's Office via Getty Images)
US Sen. Chris Van Hollen met with Abrego Garcia after his deportation (Sen. Van Hollen's Office via Getty Images)

Now, Trump has addressed the apparent hold-up in an interview with TIME.

The POTUS was asked if he was 'disobeying the Supreme Court' by failing to bring the man back.

The reporter said: "Let me quote from the ruling: 'The order properly requires the government to facilitate Abrego Garcia's release from custody in El Salvador.' Are you facilitating a release?"

Yet Trump bluntly responded: "I leave that to my lawyers. I give them no instructions. They feel that the order said something very much different from what you're saying. But I leave that to my lawyers."

"I don't make that decision," he added.

President Trump with President Bukele (Win McNamee/Getty Images)
President Trump with President Bukele (Win McNamee/Getty Images)

When asked if Trump had contacted El Salvador President Nayib Bukele to request Abrego Garcia's release, the POTUS doubled-down, stating he hadn't asked personally but that Bukele 'said he wouldn't'.

"Nobody asked me to ask him [Bukele] that question, except you," Trump said to the reporter.

Abrego Garcia’s attorneys previously stated that the father had fled gang violence more than a decade ago, but an administrative error led to him being arrested by ICE in mid-March due to his alleged 'prominent role in MS-13,' according to a court declaration.

Addressing whether the Maryland man 'deserves his day in court,' Trump said he 'wasn't a saint' and has 'got quite a past'.

The US president went on to claim Abrego Garcia had MS-13 tattooed on his knuckles, adding: "This is no longer just a nice, wonderful man from Maryland, which people, which the fake news had me and other people for a period of time believing."

Still, Trump said bringing the man back to the US for a retrial wouldn't 'bother' him, but the situation falls on the shoulders of his legal team.

Featured Image Credit: Andrew Harnik/Getty Images

Topics: Donald Trump, El Salvador, US News, Crime, Court, Politics

Liv Bridge
Liv Bridge

Liv Bridge is a digital journalist who joined the UNILAD team in 2024 after almost three years reporting local news for a Newsquest UK paper, The Oldham Times. She's passionate about health, housing, food and music, especially Oasis...

X

@livbridge

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
5 hours ago
6 hours ago
  • LVMPD
    an hour ago

    Airport staff make heartbreaking discovery after telling woman she can't bring dog on plane

    The woman was arrested at the airport

    News
  • Getty Images/MANDEL NGAN
    2 hours ago

    Trump sends stern warning to UK and Prime Minister Keir Starmer if they give away Chagos Islands

    Donald Trump had previously supported the agreement

    News
  • Jeff Kravitz/FilmMagic
    5 hours ago

    Bad Bunny enters his leading man era with first lead role in historical drama about Puerto Rico

    The new project will mark the first time the singer has taken on a leading role on the silver screen.

    Celebrity
  •  James Devaney/GC Images
    6 hours ago

    Sandra Bullock's The Blind Side co-star Quinton Aaron ‘fully alert’ after suffering spinal stroke

    The new health update comes just one month after the actor was left fighting for his life in intensive care

    Celebrity
  • Shocking reason man who was deported to 'world's worst prison' due to 'Trump admin error' will stay in jail
  • Trump administration issues statement after accidentally deporting father to 'world's worst prison' due to 'administrative error'
  • First immigrants deported from America arrive at 'world's worst prison' as Trump goes against judges orders
  • Trump administration admits 'many' people being deported to 'world's worst prison' have no criminal record