unilad homepage
unilad homepage
  • News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • World News
    • Crime
    • Health
    • Money
    • Sport
    • Travel
  • Music
  • Technology
  • Film and TV
    • News
    • DC Comics
    • Disney
    • Marvel
    • Netflix
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
Russian Soldier Pleads Guilty To Shooting Civilian In Ukraine’s First War Crime Trial
Home>News
Updated 14:20 18 May 2022 GMT+1Published 13:22 18 May 2022 GMT+1

breaking

Russian Soldier Pleads Guilty To Shooting Civilian In Ukraine’s First War Crime Trial

Vadim Shishimarin is accused of shooting dead an unarmed Ukrainian civilian

Daisy Phillipson

Daisy Phillipson

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: Iryna Venediktova/Facebook/Alamy

Topics: Ukraine, Russia, World News

Daisy Phillipson
Daisy Phillipson

Daisy graduated from Kingston University with a degree in Magazine Journalism, writing a thesis on the move from print to digital publishing. Continuing this theme, she has written for a range of online publications including Digital Spy and Little White Lies, with a particular passion for TV and film. Contact her on [email protected]

X

@DaisyWebb77

Advert

Advert

Advert

The Russian solider accused of killing an unarmed Ukrainian civilian has pleaded guilty in the first war crime trial since Russia invaded the country.

Vadim Shishimarin appeared in a Kyiv district court where he was accused of shooting dead a 62-year-old civilian on 28 February, four days after Vladimir Putin sent troops into Ukraine.

The 21-year-old Russian tank commander is accused of killing the unarmed man in the northeast village of Chupakhivka by shooting him in the head with an AK-47 rifle.

Vadim Shysimarin pleaded guilty to killing an unarmed Ukrainian civilian.
Iryna Venediktova/Facebook

Advert

After his military vehicle convoy was attacked by Ukrainian forces, Shishimarin is said to have driven his car away with four other soldiers before being ordered to 'kill a civilian so he would not report them to Ukrainian defenders'.

Prosecutors said the victim had been walking with his bike and talking on the phone when he was shot, dying 'on the spot a few dozen metres from his home'.

When asked in court if he was guilty of allegations including war crimes and premeditated murder, Shishimarin replied 'yes'. If convicted, he faces life in prison.

BBC Eastern Europe Correspondent Sarah Rainsford tweeted an image of the young soldier at his hearing today, May 18, writing: "Vadim Shishimarin has been brought to court for the start of his trial – accused of shooting a 62 year old civilian. The victim’s widow, sitting on the other side of the glass cage, wiped away tears as the Russian soldier was led in in handcuffs."

The case marks one of many war crime accusations that have been filed or are ready to be submitted by the office of Ukraine’s prosecutor general, led by Iryna Venediktova, which has registered more than 10,700 crimes since Putin's forces invaded on 24 February.

The Guardian has hailed the trial as a ‘watershed moment’ while pointing to Unicef figures that report at least 100 children were killed amid Russia’s invasion of Ukraine in April alone. 

Speaking after Shishimarin's initial hearing, Ukrainian state prosecutor Andriy Synyuk told Reuters: "This is the first case today. But soon there will be a lot of these cases."

Other planned trials may unfold in the coming weeks, including those of two Russian soldiers who allegedly carried out artillery shelling of homes and civilian buildings in a village in Kharkiv district.

Another involves a soldier named as Mikhail Romanov, who is accused of breaking into a house in the Brovarsky region, murdering a man and then raping his wife.

If you would like to donate to the Red Cross Emergency Appeal, which will help provide food, medicines and basic medical supplies, shelter and water to those in Ukraine, click here for more information 

Choose your content:

2 mins ago
an hour ago
3 hours ago
9 hours ago
  • efks/getty images
    2 mins ago

    FIFA is forcing 11 NFL stadiums to be renamed at World Cup 2026

    One stadium however has been granted a rare exception to keep its branding for the duration of the tournament

    News
  • Getty Stock Image
    an hour ago

    USADA warns Enhanced Games will damage athletes and labels it 'dangerous clown show'

    Organizers are offering millions for drug-fuelled world records, but health chiefs say the consequences are terrifying.

    News
  • Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    Vanessa Trump announces breast cancer diagnosis in 'personal health update' after undergoing procedure

    The former wife of Donald Trump Jr, and current girlfriend of Tiger Woods, shared the news of her diagnosis on Wednesday

    News
  • Instagram/@katetolo
    9 hours ago

    Biohacker Bryan Johnson reveals what his girlfriend will do on $2 million per year anti-aging experiment

    Kate Tolo has been dubbed the 'female Bryan Johnson' by the controversial bio-hacker

    News
  • Ukraine Prepares For First War Crime Trial Against Russian Soldier
  • First Russian Soldier Sentenced To Life For Ukraine War Crime
  • Rapper Mystikal pleads guilty to rape charges and now faces decades in jail
  • World War 3 Has Begun, Russian State TV Says