• News
  • Film and TV
  • Music
  • Tech
  • Features
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Weird
  • Community
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
Man accused of fleeing country and faking his own death to avoid rape charge has been convicted of sexual assault

Home> News

Updated 18:10 15 Aug 2025 GMT+1Published 17:55 15 Aug 2025 GMT+1

Man accused of fleeing country and faking his own death to avoid rape charge has been convicted of sexual assault

Nicholas Rossi is set to be sentenced later this year

Gerrard Kaonga

Gerrard Kaonga

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: Jeff J Mitchell/Getty Images

Topics: Crime, US News

Gerrard Kaonga
Gerrard Kaonga

Gerrard is a Journalist at UNILAD and has dived headfirst into covering everything from breaking global stories to trending entertainment news. He has a bachelors in English Literature from Brunel University and has written across a number of different national and international publications. Most notably the Financial Times, Daily Express, Evening Standard and Newsweek.

Advert

Advert

Advert

Nicholas Rossi, who allegedly faked his death and fled to the UK to escape charges, has been found guilty of rape and is now set to be sentenced later this year.

On August 13, Rossi, who appeared in court under the name Nicholas Alahverdian, was sentenced after a three-day trial for the sexual assault of a former girlfriend in Utah in 2008.

He has been accused of sexually assaulting two women, one in Utah and another in Salt Lake County, both of which he denied.

The 38-year-old, from Rhode Island, was found guilty of first-degree felony rape in Salt Lake County and is also awaiting trial on rape charges in connection with the assault accusation in Utah.

Advert

The woman from Salt Lake County, who was referred to as MS, said in court that she and Rossi had met online in 2008 and began dating shortly after, later becoming engaged in two weeks.

Nicholas Rossi was found guilty of rape after a three-day trial (Fox 13 News)
Nicholas Rossi was found guilty of rape after a three-day trial (Fox 13 News)

She continued to claim that Rossi became controlling, taking money from her, and criticising her appearance. At that point, she decided to end their relationship, and alleged that he then pushed her onto the bed and raped her.

According to authorities, Rossi fled to the UK in 2020, ending up in Scotland under an alias name, and faked his death to avoid criminal charges.

He married his wife, Miranda, in Bristol, and the couple moved to Glasgow, where he was caught by police in 2021 while being treated for Covid-19 in hospital.

Sky News says that the hospital staff recognised him from his tattoos that featured in images put out by Interpol. Investigators were also able to identify him through photographs after his DNA and fingerprints had been provided to Interpol.

However, Rossi insisted that he was a man named Arthur Knight from Ireland.

Rossi was extradited back to the US in 2023 (Jeff J Mitchell/Getty Images)
Rossi was extradited back to the US in 2023 (Jeff J Mitchell/Getty Images)

The BBC reports that in a bail hearing in Salt Lake City in October, he admitted that he and the alias Knight were the same person, but he denied fleeing the US to escape arrest, instead alleging that he'd left for the UK to escape threats.

Rossi was extradited from Scotland in January 2024 after his order was signed in 2023 by Scotland's justice secretary.

He is set to be sentenced in October and faces five years to life in prison.

Following the verdict’s release, attorney Sim Gill said in a statement: “We are grateful to the survivor in this case for her willingness to come forward, years after this attack took place.

“It took courage and bravery to take the stand and confront her attacker to hold him accountable.”

Rossi's next trial in Utah is scheduled to begin next month, as prosecutors are trying the cases separately.

Choose your content:

3 hours ago
9 hours ago
10 hours ago
  • Kyle Mazza/Anadolu via Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    Donald Trump accuses SCOTUS of being ‘swayed by foreign interests’ after tariff snub

    The angry accusation came after SCOTUS ruled 6-3 that his decision to implement sweeping global tariffs was unconstitutional.

    News
  • JakePaul/Instagram
    3 hours ago

    Jake Paul issues grim health update two months after Anthony Joshua knockout

    The boxer revealed he was still paying the price for his December defeat as he shared news of his recovery with fans

    News
  • SAUL LOEB / AFP via Getty Images
    9 hours ago

    Trump administration faces setback as Supreme Court make huge call on global tariffs

    Trump said he was 'ashamed' of certain members of the court

    News
  • Getty Stock Image
    10 hours ago

    Airlines don't let pilots have beards or facial hair for an important safety reason

    Pilots working at the biggest US carriers like Southwest, Delta and United are not allowed to have beards due to an old rule

    News
  • Russell Brand charged with rape, sexual assault and indecent assault as police release statement
  • All-girl private school teacher arrested after mom discovers alleged sexual texts on student's phone
  • Middle school teacher in jail for heinous sexual offenses allegedly killed by convicted murderer
  • Russell Brand speaks out after being charged with two more sexual offenses including rape