Mass shooting in Paris leaves at least two dead and multiple critically injured
| Last updated
Featured Image Credit: @RemyBuisine/Twitter
A mass shooting in Paris has left two people dead and multiple victims critically injured.
According to the AFP, emergency services rushed to a Kurdish cultural centre near the Gare de l'Est station where the gunman opened fire today (December 23).
A number of shots were heard in the area by witnesses, who told the French news agency that seven or eight had been fired in the heart of the capital city.
One person said: "It was total panic. We locked ourselves inside [a shop]."
ALERTE - Au moins 1 mort et plusieurs blessés en urgence absolue après des tirs à l’arme en feu en plein cœur de Paris. L’auteur présumé interpelé. pic.twitter.com/G7tVko9gW4— Remy Buisine (@RemyBuisine) December 23, 2022
Meanwhile, a source close to the scene told The Mirror: "A pensioner in his 70s got into the building [Kurdish centre] and appeared to start shooting at random.
"Police were called and arrested him, while also confiscating his weapon. The authorities are now advising people to avoid the area."
Authorities have since arrested the suspected shooter, a male who is reported to be 69 years old.
Prosecutors were quoted as saying: "An investigation has been opened for murder, voluntary manslaughter and aggravated violence."
Local journalist Remy Buisine kept followers updated with footage of emergency services responding to the incident.
Le bilan passe désormais à 2 morts et au moins 2 blessés graves. #fusilladeparis pic.twitter.com/bXyV98ydfN— Remy Buisine (@RemyBuisine) December 23, 2022
In a post shared earlier today, he wrote: "At least 1 dead and several injured in absolute emergency after gunfire in the heart of Paris. The alleged perpetrator arrested."
However, he later said: "The death toll now stands at 2 dead and at least 2 seriously injured."
Officials have since confirmed that two are dead and four more have been injured from the attack, which unfolded in the 10th arrondissement of Paris. Two of the four are in serious condition.
Members of the public have been warned to stay away from the area as police deal with the incident.
Authorities said the shooter's motive remains unclear.
A witness told French outlet BFM TV that the attacker was a white man who opened fire in silence.
The city's deputy mayor Emmanuel Gregoire wrote in a tweet: "A gun attack has taken place. Thank you to the security forces for their swift action.
"Thoughts for the victims and those who witnessed this drama."
If you have experienced a bereavement and would like to speak with someone in confidence contact Cruse Bereavement Care via their national helpline on 0808 808 1677
Topics: News, World News