Advert

Lightning Blows Toilet To Smithereens After Travelling Through Exhaust Vent

Published 
| Last updated 

Lightning Blows Toilet To Smithereens After Travelling Through Exhaust Vent

A lightning bolt has completely destroyed someone's toilet after it shot through an apartment's exhaust vent.

One of my worst fears is someone breaking into my house to murder me while I'm on the loo. Being struck by lightning is now a pretty close second.

Fortunately, no one was sat doing a number two on this toilet when it was obliterated by a lightning bolt, leaving shattered pieces of porcelain scattered all over the floor.

Advert
A lightning bolt travelled through the apartment's exhaust vent. Credit: Alamy
A lightning bolt travelled through the apartment's exhaust vent. Credit: Alamy

On Wednesday, 4 May, firefighters from the Okmulgee Fire Department were called to an apartment in Oklahoma after the incident took place.

In a statement shared with Nexstar, Fire Chief Dewayne Hurt reported the toilet was nearly completely destroyed but thankfully no one was injured.

He said: "The fan was destroyed and the toilet bowl was severely damaged. There was a slightly burned rafter in the attic area where we believe the lightning struck."

Advert
The lightning bolt hit the roof before it came through the exhaust vent. Credit: Okmulgee Fire Department
The lightning bolt hit the roof before it came through the exhaust vent. Credit: Okmulgee Fire Department

According to a firefighter from the Okmulgee Fire Department, the bolt of lightning travelled through the metal exhaust vent after first hitting the roof. It then came into contact with the water in the loo's bowl, which caused it to explode.

As well as causing the loo to blow up, the lightning bolt also started a small fire in the apartment's attic. Fortunately, crews were able to extinguish the blaze.

The apartment complex told local television station KWCH no one had been staying in the apartment at the time of the storm. However, it was due to be rented out the following morning.

Advert

Okmulgee Fire Lieutenant Rocky Morrow said: "I’ve worked at the fire department for 19 years and never seen anything like it."

A fire lieutenant said he had 'never seen anything like it'. Credit: Okmulgee Fire Department
A fire lieutenant said he had 'never seen anything like it'. Credit: Okmulgee Fire Department

While it is unusual for a lightning bolt to cause this type of damage within an apartment, the National Weather Service (NWS) and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDS) both warn against the use of water appliances during an electrical storm.

NSW warns to avoid 'all water' and pipes or plumbing 'including sinks, baths and faucets'.

Advert

If outside, it also states you should 'immediately' remove yourself from 'ponds, lakes and other bodies of water' and get to a 'safe shelter'.

According to NSW's website, an average of 20 people are killed by lightning each year in the US.

CDS also notes that 'about one-third of lightning-strike injuries occur indoors'.

If you have a story you want to tell, send it to UNILAD via [email protected]  

Featured Image Credit: Okmulgee Fire Department

Topics: News, US News, Weather

Poppy Bilderbeck
More like this
Advert
Advert
Advert

Chosen for YouChosen for You

News

Taliban spend day on pedalos as they celebrate year of ruling Afghanistan

14 hours ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

California will become first state to offer free school meals to every kid

14 hours ago