• News
  • Film and TV
  • Music
  • Tech
  • Features
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Weird
  • Community
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
Cancer caused by oral sex has major scientific breakthrough after Michael Douglas spoke out about symptoms

Home> News> Health

Updated 07:52 13 Aug 2025 GMT+1Published 20:56 12 Aug 2025 GMT+1

Cancer caused by oral sex has major scientific breakthrough after Michael Douglas spoke out about symptoms

Researchers recently presented their game-changing findings in Chicago

Dan Seddon

Dan Seddon

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Oral cancer patients have been handed a monumental lifeline after Michael Douglas previously got candid about his symptoms.

In a 2013 chat with The Guardian, the Hollywood veteran blamed his own life-threatening diagnosis on 'cunnilingus', before subsequently conceding at a fancy bash: "I never expected to become a poster boy for head and neck cancer, but, if after what started out as trying to answer a couple of questions about the suspected sources of this disease results in opening up discussion and furthering public awareness, then I'll stand by that."

During his battle with the disease, Douglas endured an eight-week schedule of chemotherapy and radiotherapy, but now scientists are suggesting that a drug is about to change the face of recovery.

The HPV virus from oral sex can lead to cancer (Getty Stock Image)
The HPV virus from oral sex can lead to cancer (Getty Stock Image)

Advert

Per MailOnline, the injection (pembrolizumab, or Keytruda) helps our immune systems detect hidden cancer cells and is currently only given to NHS patients with lung, cervical and breast cancers.

A medical trial recently discovered that the drug suppresses head and neck cancers for five years instead of the 30 months awarded by standardised treatments such as surgery and the two aforementioned therapies.

The trial's conductors presented their work at the American Society of Clinical Oncology conference in Chicago, where they also expressed how the cancer returned in just half of the pembrolizumab patients after five years, compared to the currently established two-and-a-half-year limit.

In addition to this, the risk of cancer travelling to some other part of the body was down by 10 per cent too.

"For patients with newly-diagnosed, locally-advanced head and neck cancer, treatments haven't changed in over two decades," noted Kevin Harrington, a professor of biological cancer therapies at the Institute of Cancer Research, London.

"Immunotherapy has been amazingly beneficial for patients with cancer that has come back or spread around the body but, until now, it hasn't been as successful for those presenting for the first time with disease which has spread to nearby areas.

"This research shows that immunotherapy could change the world for these patients—it significantly decreases the chance of cancer spreading around the body, at which point it's incredibly difficult to treat."

Hollywood actor Michael Douglas beat cancer (Francois Durand/Getty Images)
Hollywood actor Michael Douglas beat cancer (Francois Durand/Getty Images)

Meanwhile, Douglas, whose wife Catherine Zeta-Jones can be seen reprising Morticia Addams in the second season of Netflix's Wednesday, once recalled how he came to learn of his cancer diagnosis.

He was initially experiencing a persistent sore throat, but despite knocking on the doctor's door many times, his concerns were brushed off.

It wasn't until he visited a medical friend in Montreal that the truth behind his 'throat infection' was cracked open.

"I will always remember the look on his face," said the Falling Down star.

"He said: 'We need a biopsy.' There was a walnut-size tumor at the base of my tongue that no other doctor had seen."

Douglas was diagnosed with IV squamous cell carcinoma oral cancer, fearing he would have to have part of his jaw removed.

The side effects of his treatment were horrific, with burns to his palate. He refused a feeding tube and lost a massive 20kg (45 pounds) on a liquids-only diet.

"That's a rough ride. That can really take it out of you. Plus the amount of chemo I was getting, it zaps all the good stuff too. It made me very weak," he revealed.

If you’ve been affected by any of these issues and want to speak to someone in confidence, contact the American Cancer Society on 1-800-227-2345 or via their live chat feature, available 24/7 every day of the year.

Featured Image Credit: Carlos Alvarez/Getty Images

Topics: Cancer, Celebrity, Health, Science, Sex and Relationships, World News, US News, UK News

Dan Seddon
Dan Seddon

Advert

Advert

Advert

  • How oral sex can cause throat cancer as Michael Douglas shares how he reacted when he was diagnosed
  • Sex experts break down what happens when you stop having sex and why it's worse for women
  • Scientists discover a link between when you have sex and the risk of getting cancer
  • ‘Proud’ actress defends filming real-life sex scenes for controversial film

Choose your content:

5 hours ago
6 hours ago
  • Anadolu/Getty
    5 hours ago

    Trump goes on confusing rant about Melania and details putting hand ‘on certain part of her body’ during Board of Peace speech

    The POTUS addressed the viral moment that an escalator stopped working for him and his wife at the UN headquarters

    News
  • Kerstin Gurtner/Facebook
    5 hours ago

    Climber who ‘left girlfriend to freeze to death' on top of mountain details final conversation they had

    Climber Thomas Plamberger is in court accused of gross negligent manslaughter

    News
  • Chip Somodevilla/Getty
    5 hours ago

    Trump speaks out about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest as former prince is released from custody

    Donald Trump has addressed Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor being arrested earlier today

    News
  • JORDAN PETTITT/POOL/AFP via Getty Images
    6 hours ago

    Police issue update as Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor released from custody following arrest

    Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was taken into custody on February 19 — the former Duke of York's 66th birthday

    News