Family of woman fighting for her life after being hit by rollercoaster considering legal action
| Last updated
Featured Image Credit: Shylah Rodden/Facebook/@nathansandars/Twitter
The family of the woman who was left fighting for her life after being struck by a rollercoaster at a theme park are now considering legal action.
Shylah Rodden, 26, was critically injured by a theme park ride at the Melbourne Royal Show in Australia on Sunday 25 September, suffering broken bones and a brain injury.
Shortly after the incident, Victoria Police said in a statement that it appeared she had ‘walked on and entered the track to try and retrieve a dropped phone’ before being hit by the rollercoaster carriage. However, this has not been confirmed.
Rodden’s dad Alan told the Daily Mail earlier this week that his daughter was in a coma and remains in a serious condition, adding: “The injuries are horrific. Horrific. She's brain damaged. It's pelvic, her arms, legs, back, neck – there's hardly a thing that's not broken."
One week on from the accident, lawyers representing Rodden’s family say they are now looking into taking legal action.
Aki Munir, Arnold Thomas and Becker practice manager, told The Herald Sun: “We are investigating issuing proceedings against the Melbourne Show and the ride operator. It will be an action in negligence.”
Munir said the firm is also representing Rodden in a separate civil action, which relates to an incident in 2018 – in which she sustained injuries in a motor vehicle accident.
“The plaintiff claims damages for injuries suffered by her in a transport accident as a result of the negligence of the defendant, on or about 29 January, 2018,” the indorsement of claim says.
Following the incident, The Melbourne Royal Show issued a statement reading: "We are working closely with the ride operator, WorkSafe Victoria and Victoria Police to investigate the issue further; however, we can confirm that no one has fallen from the ride."
Melbourne Royal Show CEO Brad Jenkins has also described the incident as a ‘tragic accident’, saying: “From our understanding, there was a mobile phone at the base of the Rebel Coaster that she dropped on the ride and she went back to recover the mobile phone. Regrettably, she was tragically struck by the cart coming down.
“It is an extreme rollercoaster which is a lot of fun generally, but this was a tragic accident that shouldn’t have happened.”
Jenkins said the operator of the ride was experienced, and that the machine had not malfunctioned, adding: “This is a tragic accident, not a malfunction of a ride, so I can assure people that the rides are entirely safe."
UNILAD has approached the Melbourne Royal Show for further comment.
If you have a story you want to tell, send it to UNILAD via [email protected]
Topics: News, Australia, World News