unilad homepage
unilad homepage
  • News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • World News
    • Crime
    • Health
    • Money
    • Sport
    • Travel
  • Music
  • Technology
  • Film and TV
    • News
    • DC Comics
    • Disney
    • Marvel
    • Netflix
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
Ethan Crumbley pleads guilty in Michigan school shooting trial
Home>News
Updated 14:30 24 Oct 2022 GMT+1Published 14:25 24 Oct 2022 GMT+1

Ethan Crumbley pleads guilty in Michigan school shooting trial

Ethan Crumbley has changed his plea to charges relating to the shooting at Oxford High School last November

Tom Wood

Tom Wood

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: UPI/REUTERS/Alamy Stock Photo

Topics: US News, Crime

Tom Wood
Tom Wood

Tom Wood is a LADbible journalist and Twin Peaks enthusiast. Despite having a career in football cut short by a chronic lack of talent, he managed to obtain degrees from both the University of London and Salford. According to his French teacher, at the weekend he mostly likes to play football and go to the park with his brother. Contact Tom on [email protected]

X

@TPWagwim

Advert

Advert

Advert

Ethan Crumbley has pleaded guilty to all 24 charges against him relating to a school shooting in Michigan on November 30 2021.

Crumbley pleaded guilty to charges including four counts of first-degree murder and another of terrorism causing death, as well as other lesser charges.

All of the charges relate to his alleged involvement in the shooting at Oxford High School in Michigan towards the end of last year.

Four students at the school were killed in the shooting, which occurred whilst Crumbley was 15-years-old.

Advert

Now 16-years-old, Crumbley has chosen to change his plea entry this morning, having previously pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Ethan Crumbley.
UPI/Alamy

However, at a hearing today at Oakland County Circuit Court, he has now entered a guilty plea.

In the gallery, some relatives of the victims wept as assistant prosecutor Marc Keast described the crimes.

The teenager repeatedly said 'yes' to each charge.

The prosecutor’s office said no deals were made ahead of Monday’s plea.

A first-degree murder conviction typically brings an automatic life prison sentence in Michigan but teenagers are entitled to a hearing at which their lawyer can argue for a shorter term and an opportunity for parole.

The teenager withdrew his intent to pursue an insanity defence as part of the plea, and repeatedly acknowledged that he understood the potential penalties.

As well as the charges against Ethan, parents Jennifer and James Crumbley have also been charged with four counts of involuntary manslaughter each after being accused by prosecutors of giving their young son easy access to guns, as well as allegedly failing to spot signs that he was a danger to society before the alleged murders.

The prosecution team argues that the Crumbleys were responsible for ‘a much larger role than just buying their son a gun’.

They also argue that the parents could have done a whole lot more than simply locking up the gun, which might have prevented the shooting from taking place in the first instance.

Crumbley previously plead not guilty to the charges.
REUTERS/Alamy

They have pleaded not guilty to the charges, arguing that there are no legal grounds for them.

Furthermore, they argue that they cannot be held responsible for the murders that their son is accused of committing.

That trial will take place separately in January, with the pair remanded in custody until then.

James Crumbley purchased the gun that is believed to have been used in the killings just four days before Ethan allegedly killed the students ‘methodically and deliberately’ by walking around the school with the firearm shooting at close range.

The employees and students at the school tried to save themselves by barricading themselves in classrooms, calling for help and turning off lights – as trained in their active shooter drills – but ultimately four were killed.

Madisyn Baldwin and Justin Shilling – both 17-years-old – were killed along with 16-year-old Tate Myre and 14-year-old Hana St. Juliana.

Six more students and a teacher were injured.

If you have a story you want to tell, send it to UNILAD via [email protected]

Choose your content:

15 mins ago
2 hours ago
  • Getty Stock Images
    15 mins ago

    Cancer-causing chemicals hidden in many common foods, scientists discover

    It has raised concerns about long-term health risks

    News
  • @scotchdolly97/Instagram
    2 hours ago

    Woman whose breasts ‘never stop growing’ describes how medical condition macromastia makes dating more difficult

    Doctors told her that even if she had a reduction, the breast tissue would just 'grow back'

    News
  • (Photo by Chris Haston/NBCU Photo Bank/NBCUniversal via Getty Images via Getty Images)
    2 hours ago

    Secret '10-1' code actors use to make awkward request while on set

    Trixie Mattel, a RuPaul's Drag Race contestant, revealed all about what it takes to be a star

    Film & TV
  • Brendan SMIALOWSKI / AFP via Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    9/11 hero who saved lives in the Twin Towers is set to receive a posthumous national honour

    Welles Remy Crowther - also known as the 'Man in the Red Bandana' - will receive the highest civilian honor

    News
  • Former Olympian Ryan Wedding pleads not guilty to 17 felony charges
  • Rob Reiner’s son Nick officially pleads not guilty in criminal case for his parents' murders
  • Michigan man wins $1m on the lottery after 'fortune telling machine' gives him the numbers
  • Everything we know about Michigan Mormon Church shooting as gunman kills four people