To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Judge who was viciously attacked by felon orders him to appear before her 'by any and all means necessary'

Judge who was viciously attacked by felon orders him to appear before her 'by any and all means necessary'

The Las Vegas judge returned to work later that week

A judge who was viscously attacked by a felon has ordered him to appear before her 'by any and all means necessary', court documents state.

Defendant Deobra Delone Redden faced Clark County District Judge Mary Kay Holthus at the Regional Justice Center in Las Vegas on Wednesday (January 3) when the distributing attack took place.

Warning: Distressing Footage:

Redden, who had previously served prison time in Nevada on a domestic battery conviction, pleaded guilty in November to a reduced charge of attempted battery causing substantial bodily harm.

He was not being held in custody when he arrived in court on Wednesday, and asked the judge for leniency when he appeared in court.

But as Holthus made clear that she intended to put Redden behind bars for the charge, the defendant charged towards the bench and threw himself over it towards her.

The defendant landed on top of the judge, who had attempted to move out of the way, before court officials and officers joined in the brawl to try and restrain Redden.

Numerous court officials and officers got involved in the altercation.
Clark County District Court

The defendant was then arrested and jailed at the Clark County Detention Center. He is now facing multiple new felony charges including battery on a protected person.

Courthouse officials stated that Holthus suffered some injuries as she fell back against the wall, but she was not hospitalized.

A courtroom marshal was taken to hospital for treatment after he suffered a gash on his forehead and a dislocated shoulder.

Chief county district attorney Richard Scow said the attack 'happened so fast', adding: "It was hard to know what to do."

Steve Wolfson, Clark County District Attorney, said: “Thank God the judge is okay. Thank God for the heroic efforts of those who came to her aid, especially her marshal and her law clerk.

“Without them, the situation would have been much worse as this defendant exhibited extremely violent behavior and I’m confident there will be consequences."

The judge suffered minor injuries in the attack.
Clark County District Court

Court spokesperson Mary Ann Price has said officials are 'reviewing all our protocols and will do whatever is necessary to protect the judiciary, the public and our employees'.

Remarkably, Holthus returned to work later that week.

On Friday (January 5), she ordered officers to bring Redden to court 'by any and all means necessary', according to the filing of new documents, as per 8 News Now.

After the viscous attack, in a holding cell near the courtroom, the felon reportedly told an officer the judge 'has it out for [him]',' branding her 'evil'.

Court documents also state him telling authorities: "I'm sorry you had to see that."

UNILAD has previously reached out to the Regional Justice Center for comment.

Featured Image Credit: Clark County District Court

Topics: Crime, News, US News