To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Couple killed by grizzly bear sent chilling final message to family
Featured Image Credit: Mark Newman/Getty/ Paul Soders/Getty

Couple killed by grizzly bear sent chilling final message to family

The family of a couple killed by a grizzly bear have revealed the last message they received from them.

The family of a couple killed by a grizzly bear have revealed the last message they received from them.

Doug Inglis and Jenny Gusse were on a week-long camping trip in Banff National Park, in Alberta, Canada with their dog when they had an altercation with a bear on Friday (29 September).

Sadly, the 62-year-olds and their pet were found having passed away when park officials located them the next day.

Banff National Park released a statement to Facebook, explaining it received 'an alert from an inRech/ GPS device indicating a bear attack' at around 8:00pm (MT) on Friday (29 September).

The post continues: "The alert location originated from within Banff National Park, in the Red Deer River Valley, west of Ya Ha Tinda Ranch. Parks Canada immediately mobilised a Wildlife Human Attack Response Team whose members are specially trained in responding to wildlife attacks.

"Weather conditions at the time did not allow for helicopter use, and the response team travelled through the night to the location by ground."

Officials located the couple on the morning of Saturday (30 October) at around 1:00am. Unfortunately, by the time they reached the couple and their dog, it was too late.

The park implemented a temporary closure around the area.
Facebook/ Banff National Park

Colin Inglis - Doug Inglis' uncle - has since addressed the bear attack.

"They are a couple that loved each other and loved the outdoors. And they were highly, highly experienced in being out back, whether it be serious treks or canoeing, whitewater canoeing in the North country," he told CBC.

The pair also sent regular updates about their trip to their family and friends - two per day, according to Colin.

Colin says he received a message from the couple on Friday (29 September) explaining they hadn't made it to their planned location but 'were OK' and had decided to set up camp where they were.

However, it wasn't the final message Colin received from the couple, Doug's uncle noting later that evening a message came through reading: "Bear attack bad."

Banff National Park's Facebook post goes on to note when the response team discovered the couple and their dog, it also 'encountered a grizzly bear that displayed aggressive behaviour'.

The bear has since been euthanized.
Getty Images/ George Rose

The bear was resultantly 'euthaize[ed] [...] on-site' to 'ensure public safety'.

The post concludes: "Sundre RCMP arrived at 5:00 a.m. to assist, and the victims were transported to Sundre, AB.

"This is a tragic incident, and Parks Canada wishes to express its sincere condolences to the families and friends of the victims."

Parks Canada told CBC in a statement: "The individuals were on a backcountry hiking and camping trip and had the appropriate permits to do so. The individuals were also travelling with their dog.

"Bear attacks are rare occurrences. Fatal bear attacks are even less frequent. Over the last 10 years, there have been three recorded non-fatal, contact encounters with grizzly bears in Banff National Park. These incidents were the result of surprise encounters. This incident is the first grizzly bear-caused fatality recorded in Banff National Park in decades."

Topics: Animals, Canada, World News, Dogs, Facebook, Social Media, Health, Mental Health