People horrified after finding out almost every kind of wild fish is infected with worms
| Last updated
Featured Image Credit: FLICKR / Smith Collection/Gado/Getty Images
If you thought that bloodsuckers and parasites were confined to the land, you would be horrifyingly wrong.
The oceans are host to any number of stomach-churning parasites.
It could be the type isopod which eats and replaces a fish's tongue, or sea lice which in particularly bad cases can decimate salmon farms and leave the fish looking like zombies.
But there is one kind of parasite which could find its way following your fish supper all the way onto your plate.
That, I'm very sorry to say, is worms.
Specifically, a species of nematode worm called ascarids.
These are parasitic worms which live in the bodies of marine fish. They are so prolific that if you are eating wild fish they can be extremely difficult to avoid.
What makes it worse is that while the worms can be killed by heat, the temperature is hot enough to overcook the fish and render it dry and tasteless.
The problem is, the nematodes are so widespread that they are pretty much unavoidable in wild fish.
A trader specialising in fish told Vice News: "There are parasites in almost every kind of fish.
"What I provide is as fresh as can be. It comes straight from the ocean to the restaurant."
But even they were put off, adding: "I don't eat raw fish because of what I've seen. I don't eat sushi anymore."
However, there are ways to kill off the parasites and still have delicious fish. In fact, it's often required for any fish being used for sushi.
This is freezing it at a very low temperature for a sustained period, long enough to kill off any parasites in the fish.
For the most part, the fish is safe to eat, but there's no denying that the thought of nematodes would be enough to make even the most seasoned seafood connoisseur think twice.
People were horrified by the prospect, with one saying: "Yuk…..my stomach turned. That is fish from the ocean. I have witnessed this while preparing fish and I will never eat Ocean fish again."
Another wrote: "My sister worked in a deli and they would routinely pull out parasites from salmon. She won't touch the stuff now. So, I think it's fairly common."
A third posted: "I’d be taking that to the grocery store to report it and get a refund."
That said, eating fish is still mostly fine if it has been properly frozen to kill off the parasites.